The UK and Australia on Saturday welcomed Qatar’s announcement of the prosecution of those responsible for forced gynecological examinations of female passengers at Doha airport, according to the British foreign ministries of the two. country.
Passengers – including two Britons and at least 13 Australians – from ten Qatar Airways planes departing from Doha were subjected to these examinations after a newborn baby was found abandoned in the toilets at the airport on October 2 . It was for the airport authorities to determine if any of them had recently given birth.
“The preliminary investigation showed that illegal acts had been carried out. It is an important step that those responsible have been brought before the prosecution, ”a spokesperson for British diplomacy said in the statement on Saturday.
“This incident has been deeply upsetting for the women concerned and it is important that we continue to respect their privacy,” the spokesperson said, adding that British Secretary of State for the Middle East James Cleverly had said spoke with his Qatari counterpart about the incident.
Qatar, which has faced a flood of international criticism, said on Friday those responsible for the “violations” would be brought to justice.
Embarrassed by this affair which tarnishes its image, this rich emirate of the Gulf made its mea culpa after criticism of the countries of origin of the women concerned. At least 13 Australians, a French woman and a New Zealander are among the victims.
Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne said on Saturday that she spoke the day before with her Qatari counterpart, Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani, who offered her “sincere apologies”.
“We warmly welcome the recognition by the Government of Qatar of the recent events at Hamad Airport. We welcome the investigative process that has been undertaken, ”she told reporters.