Jayland Walker was handcuffed when his body arrived at the medical examiner’s office: autopsy report

Jayland Walker was handcuffed behind his back when his body arrived at the coroner’s office to be processed as part of the officers’ investigation. he shot and killed him in Akron last week, according to a medical examiner’s report that was reviewed by CNN.

The preliminary report from the Summit County Medical Examiner’s office contains several pages of thumbnail photos showing Walker dead and handcuffed at the scene and after his body arrived at the coroner’s office.

The photos also contain evidence of life-saving efforts, including what appear to be tourniquets and bandages attached to and around her body.

CNN was given permission to review the report after making a formal request, but was not allowed to make copies of its content under bureau policy.

A final autopsy report will be provided to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations, which is investigating any criminal wrongdoing by officers. The autopsy report will be part of what the state attorney general’s office considers to present a case to a grand jury.

Walker was killed in the early morning hours of June 27 after he fled from what police said was an attempted traffic stop, leading officers to an 18-minute car chase and then a a short foot chase. It ended after he came to a quick stop and officers believed he was reaching around his waist, and “felt that Mr. Walker had turned around and was moving into a firing position,” officers said.

Eight officers fired dozens of bullets resulting in more than 60 gunshot wounds, authorities said.

CNN has reached out to the Akron Police Department for comment on its policy of handcuffing people who have died in the custody of an officer.

Photos taken at the medical examiner’s office hours after the shooting show Walker in the body bag and later on the examining table. The photos show dozens of gunshot wounds from the ankle to the cheek on both sides of his body.

Photos in the report also show items such as Walker’s driver’s license and a set of bloody handcuffs.

What the police say happened

City and police officials spoke at a news conference Sunday and released 13 police body camera videos of the events leading up to Walker’s shooting.

Walker was unarmed at the time of his death, Akron Police Chief Stephen Mylett told reporters. A gun was found in Walker’s vehicle after the shooting, police said, and officers said Walker fired a gun from his vehicle during the pursuit.

Narrated video released by police says that about 40 seconds into the pursuit, “a sound consistent with a gunshot can be heard” on body camera footage, with officers telling dispatch that a gun had been fired. shot from Walker’s vehicle. Police also showed still images taken from traffic cameras showing “a flash of light” – perhaps a flash – along the driver’s side of the car.

“That changes the whole nature” of the incident, Mylett said, turning a “routine traffic stop” into a “public safety issue.”

After several minutes, body camera video shows Walker’s vehicle slowing down and he got out of the vehicle and ran. Several police officers got out of their patrol cars and gave chase, and officers deployed Tasers in an effort to stop him, police said, but were unsuccessful.

Moments later, when police said Walker stopped and turned toward officers, they opened fire, killing him.

Eight officers were “directly involved” in the shooting, Mylett said Sunday, and all have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The Walker family’s attorney said Tuesday that he was sick after viewing the body camera footage. “It’s devastating to see a young life taken away in this rabid and crazy way,” Bobby diCello told CNN.

“He was unarmed and I’m going to repeat exactly what the chief (of police) said: every single one of those bullets, and there were more than 90 of them, must be accounted for and shown to have been fired in a meaningful way.”

Protests follow shooting

There were protests over Walker’s killing on Sunday that began peacefully but turned violent as night fell, Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan said. He said there was “significant property damage in downtown Akron” and police said they arrested about 50 people after protesters failed to disperse.

Walker’s family had called for the protests to be peaceful to honor his memory.

Robert Dejournett, a relative of Walker and a local pastor, said the 25-year-old was a fun-loving, prankster who was adored by all.

“We’re God-fearing people who believe in God and we want to exemplify that even in this process,” Dejournett told CNN, “we don’t want riots or anything like that.”

“Personally, I want to scream and get mad,” the pastor said, “but what’s that going to do?”

Horrigan instituted a nightly curfew Monday and Tuesday in downtown Akron to prevent further violence. he plans lift the curfew Wednesday morning.

“Citizens have a right to make their voices heard, and I fully support that,” the mayor said in a statement on the city’s website. “In an effort to support all who are peacefully protesting, I plan to lift the curfew in our downtown area beginning tomorrow. As always, public safety remains our top priority and I urge our community to report any instances or threat of violence or destruction so that a small group of rioters do not cause further damage to our city and small businesses.”

Leave a Comment