Blanchet says he doesn’t know enough about the new plan to offer a precise opinion.
QUEBEC — Citing the upcoming general election in Quebec, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said he prefers to keep his thoughts to himself rather than support a new proposal for the controversial third fixed link between Quebec City and Lévis.
The position contrasts with the one he had during last fall’s federal election campaign, when he said he was convinced the highway tunnel project could be green and had a “positive” potential for the environment.
That view annoyed the Bloc’s sister party, the Parti Québécois, which is against the project.
Blanchet met Tuesday morning with Quebec City Mayor Bruno Marchand, who has his reservations about the new scaled-back project presented last week. Asked if he shared Marchand’s concerns, Blanchet said he would keep his thoughts from him to himself, and suggested he did not know enough about the new plan to offer a precise opinion.
“There are many elements we don’t know yet, we don’t know the origin of the data,” he said, adding that the cost may exceed the proposed $6.5 billion and “the National Assembly and the population have a discussion to continue on this project.”