What family members can I bring with me to Canada once I receive permanent residency?

Foreign citizens who receive permanent residence (PR) in Canada can bring qualifying dependent family members to Canada.

However, it is important to distinguish that this is different from the family members that a Canadian permanent resident can sponsor after immigrating to Canada. More information on how to sponsor family members to come to Canada is available below.

For a Canadian permanent resident to bring family members to Canada, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship of Canada (IRCC) clarify that the family member(s) must have been “processed for permanent residence as…dependents” of the primary applicants.

Note: In all of the following situations, IRCC clarifies that dependents of a Canadian permanent resident cannot arrive in Canada before the main applicant. Instead, dependents must arrive with or after the main applicant.

Find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration

The list of eligible family members who qualify as dependents includes:

  • A spouse or common-law partner
  • A dependent child
  • The dependent child of the spouse or common-law partner
  • The dependent child of a dependent child

Generally speaking, in all of the above contexts, a dependent child is someone under the age of 22 and who does not have a spouse or partner. However, according to the IRCC, children aged 22 and over also qualify as dependents if they “have depended on their parents’ financial support since before the age of 22” and “are unable to financially support themselves due to a physical or mental condition.” “.

Learn more about who qualifies as a dependent child hereas this may change depending on the age lock date for the specific program a candidate is applying to.

Who can’t come with me to Canada when I receive PR?

On the other hand, the IRCC lists the following family members as those who are not eligible to come to Canada along with someone who has just received PR:

  • Parents
  • Grandparents
  • Siblings (brother or sister)
  • Uncle aunt
  • Niece nephew
  • Other relatives

Sponsoring your family as a Canadian permanent resident

After arriving here, permanent residents will be able to sponsor different members of your families join them in Canada. Again, the distinction between this and the above is that sponsorship occurs after the primary applicant arrives in Canada.

Additionally, this process varies depending on whether the applicant sponsors a spouse or partner in common lawto dependent child or a father/grandfather.

In fact, depending on who is being sponsored, the Canadian permanent resident (the sponsor) may have several options for sponsoring a loved one to come to Canada. Broken down by sponsored person, the following dedicated web pages can provide more information relevant to each specific situation.

Spouse or partner in common law

Child or other dependent

Parents or grandparents

Find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration

reference: www.cicnews.com

Leave a Comment