Update: Five dead, including the shooter, in a medical building near Saint Francis Hospital

To update: Muskogee police have confirmed that the possible bomb threat in that city He was connected to the mass shooter in Tulsa. In a press release issued shortly after 8 p.m., Muskogee Police Department spokesperson Lynn Hamlin said:

“We are the scene at 3325 Park Place North in reference to a possible bomb inside. The Tulsa Police Department received information that the shooter at 61st and Yale may have left a bomb at this residence. At this time we have evacuated the house and have notified everyone in the area to stay indoors.

“OHP bomb squad is on scene and we are obtaining a search warrant to search the residence.

“This is still an active scene and I will update when new details become available.”

People are also reading…

  • Bill outlawing abortion from conception signed by Governor of Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma Turnpike Authority’s surplus land to be auctioned next month: ‘A great opportunity’
  • Bill Haisten: Prep football shocker – Jenks QB Shaker Reisig moves to Union
  • Seven Oklahoma schools must add days to 2022-23 school calendars after state board of education denies waivers
  • Watch live from inside the courtroom: the verdict of the Depp/Heard trial
  • Update: Five dead, including the shooter, in a medical building near Saint Francis Hospital
  • ‘Bullets Were Literally Flying Everywhere’: Witnesses Describe Taft Shooting That Left 1 Dead, 7 Injured
  • ‘A turning point’: Baptists release names of accused abusers, including some from Tulsa area
  • Woman pulls out gun and kills man who was firing AR-15-style rifle into crowd, police say
  • $51 million development in Tulsa Arts District would convert parking lot into hotel and apartments
  • DNA Points to Prime Suspect in 1977 Girl Scout Murders, Sheriff Says
  • Kirk Fridrich, Emily Barkley: Jenks QB arrival meets Union move-in rules
  • After 17 seasons, Clay Martin quits Jenks’ basketball job
  • Woman killed in Taft shootings identified; Suspect still jailed
  • GRDA Police: Man drowns in Flint Creek

Police confirmed that five people, including the shooter, were confirmed dead after the mass shooting at a medical building in south Tulsa.

The shooter was armed with a rifle and a handgun, according to Tulsa Deputy Police Chief Eric Dalgleish.

Police have not identified the shooter, who was among the five confirmed dead. Dalgleish said the shooter’s fatal wound was self-inflicted.

The situation was active for between four and five minutes, Dalgleish said, with the attacker firing both weapons.

Police have not identified any of the victims or anyone specifically targeted by the gunman.

The shooter was reported to “go down” around 5:30 p.m., Capt. Richard Meulenberg said.

“We know there are multiple injuries and potentially multiple casualties,” the Police Department said in a Facebook post around 6 p.m.

Meulenberg said the situation at the Natalie Building, at 64th Street and Yale Avenue, was treated as “a catastrophic scene.” He said police officers went “floor by floor and room by room” to rescue people and make sure there were no additional threats inside the building.

The Police Department’s Special Operations Team, agents from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and personnel from the US Marshals Service are at the scene.

Police have cut off traffic at Yale on 61st Street at least as far as 65th Street and say they don’t want people going to the area.

“We are asking family members/friends to go to Memorial High School west of LaFortune Park for a reunification site,” police said in the Facebook post. Memorial High School is at 5840 S. Hudson Ave.

Mayor GT Bynum paid a brief visit to those waiting at the school around 8 p.m.

Tulsa City Councilwoman Connie Dodson was in the Saint Francis ER when it closed around 4:20 p.m., she said.

“They locked it down without announcing anything, but then people heard the large presence of police and first responders in the area and they got alerts on their phones,” Dodson said.

The lockdown lasted less than an hour, he said.

“There were about 30 people in the ER at the time, but everyone was quiet and watching the activity outside and the reports live on TV,” Dodson said.

City Councilman Jayme Fowler grew up just blocks from where the shootings took place and now represents the neighborhood on council.

“It’s just tragic,” he said. “You never thought something like this would happen in our sleeping city.”

Across the street from the Natalie building, Robin Cox was looking at the fortress of police vehicles blocking the entrance to the building.

“It breaks my heart. You try not to cry in front of people, but I’m sure I’ll go home tonight and it will bother me.”

Cox, a 37-year-old mother of four, had just gotten off work at the Springer Building on the west side of Yale Avenue.

“People taking innocent lives. They have families. (They are) taking people away from their loved ones.”

Cox is a medical assistant at the Warren Clinic floating pool. She said that she was seeing patients across the street from the Natalie building when she found out about the shootings.

“We looked out the window and there were like 10 police officers, and … then they kept coming,” Cox said. “I was like, ‘Oh my God.’ … We didn’t know what was going on.”

This is a developing story. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Kevin Canfield contributed to this story.

Raw video from the scene of a mass shooting at the Natalie Building on the Saint Francis Hospital campus


Leave a Comment