Two officers stabbed and another bit by dog ​​during Cambridge arrest

CAMBRIDGE — Two police officers have been taken to hospital with serious injuries after they were stabbed during an arrest in Galt.

On Saturday at around 10:50 am, Waterloo Regional Police received a call for an “erratic driver” who was seen in a white van, revving the engine and mounting the curb while yelling at people who were gathered outside The Bridges shelter on Simcoe Street .

In an impromptu news conference held Saturday evening, Chief Bryan Larkin outlined the situation that brought a large police presence to the area of ​​Simcoe and Water streets, temporarily shutting down the roads.

Once officers arrived, the vehicle left, driving down Water Street. The details of what happened next are still under investigation but Larkin said there was a dog running loose that was previously inside the vehicle with the suspect.

On Water Street the driver got out of the van and this is when police moved in to arrest him. During the arrest, the dog attacked the driver, Larkin said. Police fired a conductive energy weapon at the dog, but this only stunned it. The dog then turned toward police and bit the hand of an officer.

Police then shot the dog with their gun, Larkin said. The dog has been turned over to the Humane Society and is receiving veterinary care.

Also during the arrest, the suspect stabbed two officers and tried to stab a third, police said. One officer didn’t realize he had been stabbed until another officer pointed out he was bleeding. Another officer had to receive immediate care because of the seriousness of the injury, Larkin said.

These officers were taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. One was taken to a hospital in Hamilton and has since been released. Another remains in local hospital.

A third officer had their uniform cut open during the arrest but was not injured.

“This incident, from start to finish, lasted approximately six minutes,” Larkin said. The call highlights the complexity and unpredictability of policing.

“The professionalism, the training and the amount of action and work that went on in a very short period of time to ensure the safety of the community as well as the officers is nothing short of impressive, and I am extremely proud of what transpired today.”

The suspect was taken to hospital for an assessment and to have the darts removed from the conductive energy weapon he was shot with.

A 26-year-old man from Cambridge was charged with multiple offenses including two counts of aggravated assault, four counts of assault with a weapon, two counts of possession of weapons for a dangerous purpose, resist arrest, assault, dangerous driving and seven counts. of breach of release orders.

Larkin said those who need assistance after witnessing this arrest can call HERE 24/7 at 1-844-HERE247 for support.

Chris Seto is a Waterloo Region-based reporter for The Record. Reach him via email: [email protected]

Leave a Comment