The climate summit took place at a time when the results of the various actions are precarious. Only six countries managed to meet their commitments, unlike the rest whose leaders express their opinion, but do not comply. And the worst thing is that a dangerous obstructionism has arisen based on the absurd thesis that policies do not work or that they have costs that cannot be assumed.
Important international events, related to each other and to the presence of world leaders, made it possible to analyze the state of the world management situation to overcome the Covid-19 pandemic at the G-20 meeting held in Rome, Italy, and the problem of change climate, at the UN climate summit COP26, in Glasgow Scotland.
Given the very uneven development in the application of the vaccine against Covid-19, the main measure proposed by the World Health Organization and accepted by all, is that by this year the vaccination of 40% of the world population should be achieved and 70% by 2022. Rich countries will need to give vaccines free to poor countries.
It was also decided, among other recommendations, to transfer technology to produce vaccines in areas of extreme poverty such as Africa. The Canadian government offered millions of free vaccines.
The G-20 raised the dangers of climate change and that require urgent action from the G-20 countries, which are responsible for 80% of global pollutants.
The climate summit took place at a time when the results of the various actions are precarious. Only six countries managed to fulfill their commitments, unlike the rest, whose leaders express their opinion, but do not comply. And the worst thing is that a dangerous obstructionism has arisen based on the absurd thesis that policies do not work or that they have costs that cannot be assumed.
The climate summit was the third call to repair mistakes and meet four goals:
1) Achieve zero polluting emissions by 2050
2) Protect communities and ecosystems
3) Have financing
4) Coordination in the means to achieve ends
At the meeting, 124 countries, including Mexico, became custodians to defend ecosystems, which have been affected every year. In the last 30 years, 170 million hectares of forests have disappeared due to deforestation. To reverse this situation, the recovery of ecosystems was proposed. By reducing their vulnerability, limiting processes of fresh water, air cleaning and food production are stopped.
The greenest areas on the planet are in Russia, Brazil, Canada, the United States and China, which represent 54% of the world total. The rest of the countries contribute 46 percent. An important decision communicated at the summit was that of President Biden, who assured that 200 million hectares of forest will be restored in his country by 2030. The heads of state of Russia and Brazil also offered to commit to conserve the green areas of their countries.
Mario Draghi, Prime Minister of Italy and host of the G20 meeting, said: “Multilateralism is the best form of cooperation we have. We share common goals and ambitions. What we have to come to share is the speed of action (…) if we maintain our ability to work together on issues such as climate and poverty, we will move forward ”.
Economy and Society
Writer and graduate in economics, graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico. From 1984 to 1990 he was Mexico’s ambassador to the Kingdom of Denmark, where he was awarded the Dannebrog order.