“Investigators believe the shooting was targeted and do not believe there is any further risk to the public.”
Police are looking for more witnesses after a shooting at South Surrey Athletic Park on Saturday afternoon that left two people dead and one person with life-threatening injuries.
Surrey RCMP responded to reports of shots fired in the 14600 block of 20th Avenue in Surrey at around 2:45 pm where they found three men who had been shot.
Officers provided life-saving measures until Emergency Health Services arrived on the scene. One of the men died at the scene. Another later died in hospital, while a third victim is in hospital with life-threatening injuries.
RCMP cordoned off the scene and called in the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).
“Investigators believe the shooting was targeted and do not believe there is any further risk to the public,” IHIT said in an update Sunday morning. Police are investigating whether the shooting is related to Metro Vancouver’s ongoing gang conflict.
Police are looking for anyone with dash cam footage of the area or anyone with information who has not yet spoken to police to contact the IHIT tip line at 1-877-551-4448 or email Email to [email protected].
The incident follows a series of shootings, many targeted, in Metro Vancouver over the past two months:
• On July 25, Jordan Daniel Goggin, 28, of Surrey, shot himself for nearly six hours and shot four people at various locations in the City of Langley and Langley Township, killing two people and wounding two more. Goggin died shortly after the fourth shooting when RCMP officers shot and killed him.
• On July 24, Meninder Dhaliwal, 29, was shot in broad daylight outside a Whistler hotel. Dhaliwal and a friend were killed in the incident. Dhaliwal’s older brother, Harb, was shot and killed in Coal Harbor on April 17, 2021.
• On July 14, controversial figure Ripudaman Singh Malik, who was acquitted in 2005 of murder and conspiracy charges for the 1985 Air India bombing, was shot to death as he sat in his car outside his business office in the 8200 block of 128th Street in Surrey. . Two men, Tanner Fox, 21, and Jose Lopez, 23, have been charged with first-degree murder in the case.
• On July 8, shots were fired at a residence in the 8600 block of 151B Street in Surrey, wounding a 40-year-old woman. No arrests have been made.
• On July 4, former Hells Angels member Ronaldo Lising, the first of the biker gang to be criminally convicted in BC, was shot outside his Burnaby home. He survived the shooting.
• On July 4, Mohamed Abdulrahman Mohamed, 28, was shot to death in the parking lot of the Days Inn hotel near the 13300 block of King George Boulevard in Surrey. A burned vehicle was found shortly after, near the scene. No arrests have been made and police have not identified any suspects.
• On June 17, a man was shot while at a residence in the 10000 block of 128A Street.
More news, less ads: Our in-depth journalism is possible thanks to the support of our subscribers. For just $3.50 a week, you can get unlimited, ad-lite access to The Vancouver Sun, The Province, National Post, and 13 other Canadian news sites. Support us by subscribing today: The Vancouver Sun | The province.