The polls open in Montreal as the Quebec municipal elections begin – Montreal | The Canadian News

Polls opened for the city of Montreal on Saturday as Quebec’s municipal elections take place this weekend.

Quebec residents can cast their vote at local polling stations throughout the province from 9:30 a.m. M. At 8 p. M. Sunday. For Montreal voters, the polls were open Saturday morning to give residents two days to vote and shorter line-up waits.

Montreal is the only city in Quebec where all 460 polling places are open throughout the weekend. Montréalrs will choose from among the top three mayoral candidates, incumbent Valérie Plante, former mayor Denis Coderre and newcomer Balarama Holness.

According to the city, only 42 percent of eligible voters went to the polls to cast their vote in the last municipal elections of 2017.

READ MORE: The battle for Montreal’s city hall takes a nasty turn ahead of Sunday’s vote

“That means [just] 40 percent of the people decided. The remaining 60 percent chose not to participate. [They let] others decide for them, ”said Andre Chapleau, spokesman for Elections Montreal.

The story continues below the ad.

Chapleau told Global News that it is important for Quebecers to remember that municipal elections affect the services they interact with every day.

Elections officials remind residents to bring valid government-issued identification, such as a driver’s license or Medicare card.

Officials say 13 percent of eligible voters voted early in polls last month, up from 8 percent in 2017, which they say is an encouraging sign.

For information on where to vote, visit the Elections Montreal website here and the Elections Quebec website here.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Reference-globalnews.ca

Leave a Comment