The damaged locomotive in Vila-seca is rented and had just undergone maintenance on the wheels


The crashed FGC locomotive this Sunday night at collide with a passenger train is rented at cargometer companyparticipated in a 51% by FGC and the other 49% by Captrain. At the time of the collision, the machine, owned by FGC, was returning from performing profiling maintenance on its own wheels, a process carried out by periodically to deal with wear.

According to FGC sources, the freight trains that operate with Cargometro do so under the railway license and the safety certificate of Captrain, a company to which the drivers also belong. On the other hand, FGC has also stated that in order to draw more conclusions from the incident it is necessary to have all the information from the investigation.

Cargo meter has a contract since 2010 for the transport of vehicle components for Seat, between the Zona Franca and Martorell facilities. For this reason, it rents the rolling stock from Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat and entrusts Captrain with the circulation of trains and their driving, manoeuvring, management and administration of the company.

Meanwhile, rail traffic between Tarragona and Cambrils/Reus has been reestablished on one track at the beginning of the service this Monday after the accident. In this way, the service is recovered on the lines R15 (Barcelona-Reus/Móra) and R16 (Barcelona-Tortosa). The other track will remain inoperative while technicians work to remove the regional vehicle that collided with a freight locomotive.

As a result of the accident, the Emergency Medical System (SEM) treated 29 people, 21 of whom required transfer to a health center. Of these, six were seriously injured and were transferred to the hospitals of Santa Tecla and Juan XXIII, and 14 minor, who went to Cambrils, Salou and Vila-seca.

The Government calls for infrastructure improvements

After the incident, this Monday the delegate of the Generalitat in Tarragona, Teresa Pallarès, called for infrastructure improvements railways of Catalonia. In an interview this Monday on TV3, collected by Europa Press, Pallarès stated that “seriously we have to talk” about investments in infrastructure in Catalonia.

Related news

“All accidents are serious and, at the moment that a person has been injured or has had some discomfort, it is already serious. These are issues that do not have to be repeated in the future,” he added.

Likewise, he explained that the Mossos d’Esquadra they are investigating the accident and they are waiting for the results.


Leave a Comment