Roger Federer, 40, announced on Sunday August 15 that he would have to have knee surgery again. “To feel better, I need to be operated”, which implies an absence for “Many months”, The Swiss tennis player explained in a video posted on Instagram,
This new operation – he has already undergone two, in February and June 2020 – casts doubt on the rest of his career. In the immediate future, after skipping the Tokyo Olympics, he will forfeit the US Open, which begins on August 30.
The former world number one played only thirteen matches in 2021 out of five tournaments (nine wins, four losses). His last appearance on a court dates back to his quarter-final at Wimbledon, lost to Pole Hubert Hurkacz. Previously, the native of Basel had retired before the round of 16 at Roland Garros, in order to prepare for the London tournament, his favorite tournament that he has won eight times.
“I am a realist, please understand me. I know how difficult it is at my age to have another operation. I’m going to try “ to return to the circuit, said the Swiss in his video. ” I want to give myself a glimmer of hope to come back to the circuit one way or another ”.
“I will follow the rehabilitation process, also with the aim of staying active, which will help me during this long period”, he said, before thanking his fans for their support, promising to keep them informed of the rest of the events and his rehabilitation.
In May, during the ATP tournament in Geneva, Roger Federer said about a possible retirement: “I don’t have specific plans. For the moment, it is not topical ”. “To tell the truth, it’s the knee, the family and Mirka [sa femme] who will decide. Today, the priority is to come back well and see what level I can reach. “
The Canadian News
Canada’s largets news curation site with over 20+ agency partners