Syria | Israeli raid on Iranian embassy annex leaves 11 dead

(Damascus) A raid blamed on Israel targeted the consular section of the Iranian embassy in Damascus on Monday, killing 11 people, including seven Iranian Revolutionary Guards, in a tense regional context against a backdrop of war in the strip from Gaza.




Tehran has promised to retaliate for this unprecedented raid on an Iranian diplomatic building in Syria, where Iran and its allies support the power of Bashar al-Assad.

“The Israeli enemy launched airstrikes from the occupied Syrian Golan, targeting the Iranian consulate in Damascus,” the Syrian Defense Ministry said.

An AFP journalist noted that the consular section, adjacent to the Iranian embassy in the Mazzeh district of Damascus and which houses numerous embassies and United Nations buildings, had been completely destroyed.

PHOTO FIRAS MAKDESI, REUTERS

“All those inside were killed or injured,” the ministry continued.

The Revolutionary Guard Corps, the ideological army of the Islamic Republic of Iran, announced that seven of its members, including two commanders, were killed in the raid.

In a statement, the Revolutionary Guards confirmed that two senior officers of the Quds Force, Mohammad Reza Zahedi and Mohammad Hadi Haji Rahimi, were among the victims.

The Quds Force is the elite unit of the Guardians which intervenes beyond borders.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OSDH), an NGO based in the United Kingdom, but which has a vast network of sources in the country, for its part reported 11 deaths in total: “eight Iranians, two Syrians and a Lebanese, all fighters, no civilians.”

The NGO specified that General Zahedi was the “commander of the Quds Force for Syria, Lebanon and Palestine”.

“Decisive response”

In Tehran, the Iranian Nour news agency reported that “Hossein Akbari, ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Damascus, and his family were not injured in the Israeli attack.”

In a statement broadcast by Iranian media, the ambassador said that the embassy annex had been targeted by “six missiles fired by F-35 fighters”.

He assured that Iran would provide “a decisive response” to this attack.


reference: www.lapresse.ca

Leave a Comment