Strikes against Houthis in Yemen | American and British interests have become “legitimate targets”





(Sanaa) US and British interests have become “legitimate targets” for the Houthis after US and UK strikes in Yemen, Iran-backed rebels said on Friday.


WHAT THERE IS TO KNOW

  • The United States and the United Kingdom, supported by Canada, have carried out strikes against the Houthis in Yemen.
  • The strikes targeted key towns controlled by the rebels.
  • For weeks, they have been carrying out attacks in the Red Sea, an important crossing point for international trade.
  • The rebel leader threatened to respond to any US attack in the Red Sea with even “bigger” operations.
  • Ottawa is stingy with details on its contribution.

“All US-British interests have become legitimate targets for the Yemeni armed forces following the direct and overt aggression against the Republic of Yemen,” the Houthi Supreme Political Council said.

“The Americans and the British must not believe that they will escape punishment from our heroic armed forces,” added this high authority of the rebels, in a press release published by their official media.

“The joy of the aggressors will not last long, and our hand will have the upper hand, God willing,” continued the Houthi Supreme Council.

PHOTO KHALED ABDULLAH, REUTERS

Houthi rebel leader Mohammed Ali al-Houthi denounced airstrikes launched by the United States and the United Kingdom during a rally in Sanaa on January 12.

The strikes, which left five people dead, followed weeks of attacks by the Houthis on ships they say are linked to Israel in the Red Sea, to protest Israel’s bombing in the Gaza Strip where it says wanting to destroy Palestinian Hamas, responsible for an unprecedented attack on Israeli territory.

The European Union plans to deploy a naval force in the Red Sea

EU countries will discuss next week sending a European naval force to help protect ships in the Red Sea against attacks by Yemen’s Houthi rebels, diplomats said on Friday.

The project has been under study in Brussels for several weeks. It had been discussed long before American and British forces struck Yemen.

The EU would seek to complement the US-led coalition, which includes many EU countries and already operates on this vital maritime route. The size and composition of such a European mission, however, remain to be specified.

“As the EU, we are working intensively on how we can strengthen the situation in the Red Sea and contribute to stabilization. We must decide together within the European framework. We are working hard on it,” German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock explained on Friday from Kuala Lumpur.

“The Houthis are responsible for the consequences of their actions. They must immediately stop their attacks on civilian ships,” she said.

European diplomats indicated that a first discussion would take place in Brussels on Tuesday.

Emergency meeting of the UN Security Council

The UN Security Council will meet urgently on Friday afternoon after the strikes carried out against the Houthis in Yemen by the United States and the United Kingdom, announced France, which holds the presidency of the Council in January.

The emergency meeting was requested by Russia, said the French presidency of the Council. It will take place in the afternoon after another planned meeting on the situation in Gaza.

The Security Council adopted a resolution on Wednesday demanding an “immediate” end to Houthi attacks on ships in the Red Sea, also noting the right of member states to defend ships against such attacks.

Russia abstained in this vote.

“We cannot but be worried about the current situation in the Red Sea (…) but we are worried that the United States and its allies prefer, as they often do, to choose a unilateral solution by force,” the Russian ambassador then denounced. Vassili Nebenzia, criticizing the coalition set up by the United States to protect maritime traffic in this strategic area where 12% of world trade passes.


reference: www.lapresse.ca

Leave a Comment