Branden McCraney, 23, of Windsor, has numerous charges after a restricted firearm was found in his possession at a St. Clair Fratmen game in Brantford on Sunday.
A St. Clair Fratmen player was arrested while at a game in Brantford after a restricted firearm was found in his possession.
The St. Clair College football team was at the Bisons Alumni North Park Sports Complex on Sunday for a game against the Hamilton Hurricanes.
The Brantford Police Service said officers were dispatched to the sports arena around 2 p.m. in response to a gun call.
Police were informed that an unloaded firearm had been located on the personal property of one of the players.
When the officers went to the scene, they handed over the gun and its ammunition magazine.
According to Brantford Police, both the gun and its magazine are in the restricted category.
Police also found that the firearm’s serial number “had been tampered with and was no longer legible.”
Branden McCraney, 23, of Windsor, now faces numerous firearms charges, including:
- two counts of carrying a weapon while attending a public meeting
- two counts of carrying a concealed weapon
- two counts of careless use, storage, handling or transportation of a firearm
- unauthorized possession of a firearm
- unauthorized possession of a prohibited device
- possession of a firearm with knowledge that it is not authorized
- Possession of a prohibited device with knowledge that it is not authorized
- alteration of a serial number
In addition, the defendant was charged with failure to comply with a judicial order for his release.
Branden McCraney was previously charged in connection with a stabbing outside a nightclub on Ouellette Avenue on January 1, 2019.
This football season, McCraney has been dressing the # 1 Fratmen player in the running back / slotback position.
His performance as a receiver earned him offensive player of the week recognition from the Ontario Football Conference in September.
McCraney has since been removed from the 2021 Fratmen online list.
Police investigate stabbing in downtown Windsor on New Year’s Eve
Windsor Police Name New Year’s Eve Downtown Stabbing Suspect
St. Clair Fratmen defeats the London Beefeaters