Sister of a man on trial for her mother’s murder testifies that her father turned them against her – Toronto | The Canadian News

A disturbing picture of the life that Duncan Sinclair and his brothers led emerged in the first-degree murder trial of the 21-year-old Toronto man accused of fatally stabbing his mother Rae Cara Carrington.

Sinclair’s 19-year-old sister, whose identity is protected by a court-ordered posting ban, testified that she had a strained relationship with her 51-year-old mother who worked 50 to 60 hours a week.

“I barely knew her when I was a child. My father had turned many of the children against him. We don’t talk to her. I went a few years without talking to her. I would get in trouble if I talk to her, ”said the sister who was sitting on the witness stand in a red sweatshirt and her brown hair falling to her shoulders. At one point, she craned her neck to greet her brother, who has been in detention for two days after his arrest.

Read more:

21-year-old man on trial for stabbing his mother to death at Toronto PATH food court in 2019

The story continues below the ad.

On April 10, 2019, Carrington was stabbed eleven times at the Fast Fresh Foods restaurant where she worked in the PATH subway in downtown Toronto.

Two days later, Sinclair, then 19, was arrested after an employee at the YMCA Employment Center in Midland, Ontario, noticed that the man who had given the name “Daniel Williams” was recording an investigation into murder in toronto online.

The employee, Joanne Charlevoix, testified Monday that she looked up his history online and noted that the man had recorded the murder twelve times, in twelve different ways. He printed a screenshot of Google Chrome searches and said he saw it go back to the computer and start deleting the search history.

“I thought it was getting suspicious and strange. I walked into my office, spoke to a supervisor, and called Toronto Homicide, ”Charlevoix said. Sinclair was arrested without incident shortly thereafter by OPP as he was getting up to leave the YMCA.

Read more:

Man Charged With First Degree Murder In Mother’s Death Makes Brief Court Appearance

Sinclair’s sister told the jury that she recognized her brother from surveillance video that they had been shown via zoom a few weeks ago, crown attorneys and police.

“That’s him. It’s his face. The way he dresses, the clothes he wears,” he explained.

The story continues below the ad.

Sinclair has pleaded not guilty.

The sister also spoke about the isolated childhood she and her siblings endured, confined to their apartment except for the occasional weekend errand with their mother, and living under aliases to prevent outsiders from calling authorities.

“Our father (Paul) was named Thomas. Our father didn’t want outsiders or neighbors to know our real names in case other people reported us to the police. So we use nicknames, ”he explained.

The teenager testified that she and her seven siblings did not attend public school because their father did not want them to be corrupted and brainwashed with other religions. She also said that he told them that teachers were pedophiles and rapists.

“He found out that teachers were kidnapping students. He preferred to keep us with strangers. He wanted to protect us, “he said, only later during cross-examination and admitted that he believed that his father was afraid to send them to school” because he would physically abuse us, we had marks and he was afraid of the teachers. Seeing him.”

The 19-year-old said she and her siblings never had a formal education and only watched television all day. She testified that she only learned to read by studying the Bible and watching closed-captioned television and movies.

“I learned to read when I was 11 or 12 because my father told me to read a Bible or else I would go to hell,” he explained.

The story continues below the ad.

Read more:

Woman fatally stabbed in Toronto’s PATH subway system was mother of 8 children: sources

She said that in February 2018 she called the police looking for a phone number after a fight with her father because he tried to turn her against her mother. “It became too much for me,” he explained.

She testified that she had been depressed for about five years and had suicidal thoughts, and recalled seeing a sign for a suicide helpline while running errands with her mother one weekend, but couldn’t remember the number.

The phone call inadvertently triggered questions from the officer on the line, prompting the officer to dispatch six police officers and a psychiatric nurse to check on him.

“I tried to make them believe that everything was fine,” said the sister, who was only 15 years old at the time.

She told the jury that when the older brother stopped living with the family in 2014, his father became paranoid that he would “turn us in to the police or to the help of the children for the abuse and the things he would do to us and the confinement. “.

She testified that the father decided to pack up and move to a different apartment. “Our father threatened our mother and said that he would murder her if she ever had contact with that son.”

The story continues below the ad.

That brother was no longer part of her family, the teenager told court, explaining that they moved again after she called police in February 2018.

“He moved us again because the child support and the police knew where we lived.” Sinclair’s sister said they lived in motel rooms in Etobicoke before an older brother brought a property in Napanee where the mother and three younger children lived. She testified that she stayed in Toronto to work, as that is what was expected of children once they turned 16.

Click to play video: '21-year-old man on trial for first degree murder of his mother'

21-year-old man on trial for first-degree murder of his mother

21-year-old man on trial for first-degree murder of his mother

“I was tired of being home all day. He was getting claustrophobic. I really wanted to meet other people and socialize, ”said the sister, adding that her first job was in a shopping mall.

When the teenager was asked by crown attorney Michael Cantlon what she did with paychecks, she responded, “Our paychecks would go to our father. He would take it to our older brother to keep in his bank account. “The money he explained would be used to pay for rent, utilities and food.

The story continues below the ad.

“From every paycheck, we would get $ 100 for ourselves,” he said.

Sinclair’s sister said that a few months after calling the police, she, Sinclair and another brother got an apartment together while working until they decided to put themselves in foster care.

“I wanted a better job. I wanted a better life. I was working almost full time. “The teenager said she contacted the older brother, who had left the family, and told him that he wanted to go to a foster home so he could go to high school.” We agreed to make a call help to children where we spoke with a social worker that my mother had already spoken with. We agreed that it was better for me to go to a foster home. “

Sinclair’s sister said that at the time, her parents lived in Napanee with the three youngest children. Her father had sent Carrington to Toronto to continue working because they were running out of money and for a short time, before she entered foster care, they all lived together. Describing his mother as a “stranger”.

When Cantlon asked the young woman about the relationship between her mother and Sinclair, she replied, “It was not good. Our father had talked to Duncan and us about our mother. She said things like she was cheating on me. Some of you are not my children. It would make everyone believe that she was that horrible person who was cheating on him. “

The story continues below the ad.

Sinclair’s sister testified that she learned that her father was eventually arrested and that the three youngest children, ages 9 to 14, were taken to the hospital for examination and ultimately placed with foster families. She said they were happy. “I knew my dad was hurting us physically and he didn’t want younger children to be subjected to that. He also wanted them to have a better education and life and not be confined. “

She told the jury that she also feared the children would go back to their mother’s custody. “I didn’t know if I would go back to my dad.”

Read more:

Son of victim charged with first degree murder after woman fatally stabbed in Toronto’s PATH system

He explained that in the months leading up to the murder, he would meet with his mother and the three younger siblings at CAS for a weekly visit. “She lived in a women’s shelter. Our dad had all the money. I was working full time and part time, ”she added that her mother was trying to save for an apartment for everyone.

When she was little, she remembered that her mother was stressed about making money and paying bills. “Our dad would stress her out. He would look for fights. I would have panic attacks and mental breakdowns in the middle of the night. But she didn’t really do anything about it. She was just mad. She would have nightmares about our father hurting her, ”she recalled.

The story continues below the ad.

“She would go to the kitchen. I would walk back and forth and she would say ‘I can’t go. I can `t go ‘. She would say I hate him. I hate being married to him. I wish I had never met him. I was mentally exhausted from everything. “

She said she was open to a relationship with her mother and that the two were texting every day until February 2019 when she testified that Carrington yelled at her and said, “Calling the police was the biggest mistake I ever made.”

Sinclair’s sister said her mother was upset because she “had a great fear throughout her married life” that the children’s help would come and take the children away. “She said, I made the fear come true.”

The 19-year-old said after that they were still talking but she was not emotionally open to her. “I didn’t like hugs when she tried to hug me. It was more closed. “

According to an agreed statement of fact, Paul Sinclair was convicted of 12 crimes related to child abuse on March 18, 2020. The crown has now rested his case. Joelle Klein, an attorney for Sinclair, said she will not present any evidence.

Final presentations are expected to begin on Wednesday.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Leave a Comment