Shanghai seeks to reassure residents about supplies affected by COVID


SHANGHAI, April 10 (Reuters) – Shanghai reported nearly 25,000 locally transmitted COVID-19 infections on Sunday and sought to reassure residents on lockdown in China’s most populous city that bottlenecks affecting food availability and supplies would be eased. other articles.

The streets remained largely silent in the city of 26 million people as sidewalks under its “zero tolerance” policy allow only health workers, volunteers, delivery personnel or those with a permit especially move freely.

Wang Wenbo, vice president of e-commerce giant JD.com (9618.HK), told the daily Shanghai briefing that the company focuses on staple foods and baby care items. Xiao Shuixian, senior vice president of Alibaba Group’s (9988.HK) Ele.me, said he has hired 2,800 more couriers in the past week.

Sign up now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

The number of COVID-19 cases in Shanghai is small by world standards, but the city is battling China’s worst outbreak since the virus emerged in the central city of Wuhan in 2019. Of the local cases reported by Shanghai the Sunday, 1,006 were symptomatic while 23,937 were classified as asymptomatic, which China counts separately.

Shanghai has become a test bed for China’s COVID management strategy against the highly infectious Omicron variant, as it seeks to centrally test, trace and quarantine all people who test positive, symptomatic or not, to stop the spread of coronavirus.

The official Xinhua news agency warned on Sunday that a relaxation of China’s “dynamic zero-COVID approach” could be “disastrous”, given the danger the Omicron variant poses to people with underlying health conditions, the elderly and the uninhabited. vaccinated.

“China’s medical system would risk collapsing and causing huge loss of life if it gives up on epidemic prevention and control,” Xinhua said.

China maintains its focus even as other countries seek to live with the virus. Strong measures, such as the separation of COVID-positive children from their parents, a practice that was eased last week, have drawn national criticism and expressions of concern from diplomats.

Late on Saturday, China’s Foreign Ministry expressed “strong dissatisfaction” with the United States after it raised concerns about China’s coronavirus control measures. read more

ROAD CLOSURES

Videos posted online showed residents struggling with security personnel and hazmat-suited medical personnel at some complexes in recent days, as occupants shouted that they needed food.

While the city government has been distributing food, many residents have complained that deliveries are insufficient.

Residents of other cities have expressed fears on social media groups that their areas could go into lockdowns, sharing screenshots of maps showing roads closed in many parts of the country.

China’s transport ministry said on Saturday it was working with other government departments to standardize road checkpoints because restrictions at the local level were causing congestion of critical supplies.

The southern metropolis of Guangzhou, home to 18 million people, announced on Sunday the cessation of face-to-face teaching for most students.

Meanwhile, the port city of Ningbo said it would close all indoor dining at restaurants and hotels and that people who had been in confined spaces since April 3 would undergo three days of daily testing. Ningbo reported three new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on April 9.

On Saturday, the Beijing city government locked down a high-risk area after eight COVID cases were confirmed in two weeks, Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control, told reporters.

Sign up now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by David Kirton in Shanghai and Yingzhi Yang in Beijing Editing by Tony Munroe and David Goodman

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Reference-www.reuters.com

Leave a Comment