Search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 may resume

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia –

Malaysia’s government said on Sunday it may renew the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 after a US technology company proposed a new search in the southern Indian Ocean, where the plane is believed to have crashed a decade ago.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said Texas-based Ocean Infinity proposed another “no find, no fee” base to explore the seabed, expanding from the site where it first searched in 2018. He said he invited the company to meet with him to evaluate new scientific evidence he has to find the plane’s final resting place.

If the evidence is credible, he said, he will seek Cabinet approval to sign a new contract with Ocean Infinity to resume the search.

“The government is steadfast in our determination to locate MH370,” Loke said at a memorial event to mark the 10th anniversary of the plane’s disappearance. “We really hope that the search can find the plane and bring the truth to the relatives.

The Boeing 777 plane carrying 239 people, mostly Chinese nationals, from the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur to Beijing disappeared from radar shortly after takeoff on March 8, 2014. Satellite data showed the plane It deviated from its flight path and was believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.

But a costly multinational government search failed to turn up any clues, although several remains washed up on the east coast of Africa and on islands in the Indian Ocean. A private search conducted in 2018 by Ocean Infinity also found nothing, but the tragedy prompted measures to tighten aviation security.

KS Nathan, a member of the Voice MH370 group comprising next of kin, said Ocean Infinity initially planned a new search last year but it was delayed by the delivery of its new fleet of ships and assets. He is now on track to resume hunting, he said.

Loke declined to reveal Ocean Infinity’s proposed fee if it finds the plane, as this is subject to negotiation. He said the financial cost is not an issue and he doesn’t foresee any obstacles to the search continuing if all goes well.

Loke’s response brought tears of joy to some family members at the event held at a shopping center in a Kuala Lumpur suburb.

“I’m on top of the world,” said Jacquita Gomes, whose husband, a flight attendant, was on the plane. She said she is grateful to now have the opportunity to fully close and say a final goodbye.

“We have been on a roller coaster ride for the last 10 years. … If they don’t find it, I hope another search continues,” she said.

Relatives of passengers from Malaysia, Australia, China and India paid tribute to their loved ones during the event, lighting a candle on stage to remember them.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s 10 years, 20 years or more, as long as we’re still alive… we won’t stop pushing for the truth. We believe the truth will eventually come out,” said Bai Zhong of China, whose wife was on the plane.

Leave a Comment