The leadership of the Saskatchewan Emergency Operations Center announced Friday that “approximately” two to four COVID-19 patients are expected to be transferred to Ontario daily, starting next week.
Saskatchewan COVID-19 Test Numbers Fall With Overcrowded ICUs
Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA) President Marlo Pritchard added that this is subject to change.
So far, six intensive care unit patients have been transferred to Ontario hospitals and three more are scheduled to be transferred between Friday and Sunday.
Pritchard added that these transfers are being made to reduce stress on the province’s health system.
As of Friday, there are 80 COVID-19 ICU patients in Saskatchewan hospitals.
Frustration mounts among Saskatchewan healthcare workers as ICU transfers continue
“There is a great deal of planning done by critical care teams in both Saskatchewan and Ontario to facilitate these transfers and ensure they are done safely,” Pritchard said.
The Saskatchewan government issued a statement Thursday stating that transfers out of the province are “contingent on several factors.”
This includes ICU capacity, clinical assessment and identification of suitable patients, severe weather, and other unforeseen events.
Doctor and NDP Say Policy Guides Saskatchewan Government’s Response to COVID-19
Pritchard said the provincial emergency operations center continues to hold meetings with the federal government, including the Canadian Department of Public Safety. He said good progress has been made so far.
“I hope to have more information soon about having boots on the ground sometime next week,” Pritchard told reporters.
Pritchard also confirmed that the focus is currently on moving COVID-19 patients out of the province, rather than non-COVID-19 patients.
See link »
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.