Quebec tightens for Omicron

Politics Insider for December 17: New Quebec restrictions; Ontario’s Grim COVID Projections; and Canada’s new term-first cabinet

Welcome to a sneak peek at Maclean’s Politics Insider Newsletter. Sign up to have it delivered directly to your inbox in the morning.

Restrictions: With at least 3,700 new cases Expected to be announced on Friday, the Quebec government announced on Thursday a series of renewed restrictions including reduced capacity in businesses, bars and restaurants and a delay in returning to classes for secondary and post-secondary students, CTV Montreal reports.

Due to the record numbers, “We must act”, Quebec Premier Francois legault it said Thursday, announcing a series of public health rules that the province is tightening starting Monday. Getting vaccinated is key, he said, but “the second weapon we have is simple: we have … to be around other people less often.” The province is aiming to reduce contacts by 50 percent, he said. That means halving capacity wherever possible across the province.

Positive Minister: Among those caught in the terrifying wave of new cases in Quebec is the Minister of Education, The Montreal Diary reports.

Circuit breaker: Ontario’s COVID-19 Science Chart warned Thursday that the province could see 10,000 cases per day When Omicron takes over, and experts say a “circuit breaker” could help prevent the worst, the Balloon reports.

These rising new cases could overwhelm hospitals in January, science table warns, without intervention now, even with uncertainty about the severity of the disease caused by the new variant. “Waiting to act means waiting until it’s too late to act,” said Adalsteinn (Steini) Brown, chairman of the science board and dean of the University of Toronto’s school of public health. The numbers, published a day after the announced the government of Prime Minister Doug Ford Accelerated booster injections and new capacity limits for large sports and theater venues say Omicron is spreading so fast that it will be Ontario’s dominant variant by the end of this week.

Common sense? CTV snow bird Don martin, who returned to Canada from the United States last week, describes an unpleasant airport scene, but generally believes something of a common sense evolution is taking place.

Fortunately, we are getting back to the original goal when the rallying cry was to “flatten the curve” to keep empty beds in ICUs rather than chasing rainbow fantasies that this insidious virus can be exterminated by washing vegetables. Then here’s hoping the feds adopt realistic responsibilities in this room – or is it the fifth? – COVID-19 Wave: Lock in kids’ doses and adult boosters, get millions of rapid test kits in provincial hands, and keep the economy flowing across a border as immune to variant invasions as possible.

Just theater? Yet behind the scenes in provincial capitals, some think the new federal travel restrictions amount to political theater, Global’s David Akin | reports.

Fighting protectionism: Justin Trudeau he has finally sent his ministers new letters of mandate, which include instructions to “address the growing fears about the president. By Joe Biden “US Policies First”, Politico reports. Bloomberg takes a similar angle. Global note that Trudeau has called on his “ministers of defense, foreign affairs, public safety and industry to develop a new ‘National Cyber ​​Security Strategy.’ ” The Mail reports that the government plans to force online giants to compensate news publishers and that it will rework its legislation on online damage.

Regrets: Trudeau said Global in a year-end interview that “top echelons of the military” told his government that “there was no problem” when it came to the misconduct scandal that has rocked the Canadian military. Trudeau said he wishes he “could have done more.”

Murdered child: Global has a tragic story about a 10-year-old girl who was shot and killed in Afghanistan as her family prepared to flee to Canada.

The girl, Nazifa, was killed when gunfire broke out near a Taliban checkpoint in Kandahar on the night of December 10, her father and the group of Canadian veterans Oh my lara Global News said in interviews. The father had worked for the Canadian Army in Kandahar until 2011. Canada approved the family’s resettlement, but they were trapped in Afghanistan due to a lack of evacuation efforts.

Teneycke vs. McVety: Ontario PC Party Campaign Manager Kory teneycke slapped Premier Doug ford former ally Charles McVety with a demand, Queens Park today reports. Teneycke and his lobbying firm, Rubicon Strategy, are suing McVety for libel, alleging that the outspoken evangelist has tried to challenge his integrity. “Messrs. McVety is about to learn that defamation can be very costly,” Teneycke said in a text message. McVety did not comment.

Expensive shipments: A report by Parliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux estimates Thursday that Ottawa’s decision to build two new polar icebreakers for the Canadian Coast Guard will cost $ 7.25 billion, a dramatic increase from the government’s 2013 estimate that it would cost $ 1,300. million build one of those ships, CP. reports.

Potato drama: PEI Premier Dennis King Says Ottawa Should Eliminate “Silly Nonsense” And Do More To End Ban on Island Potato Exports to the United States, CBC reports.

One million Bluenosers: Nova Scotia announced Thursday that the province now has one million residents, CTV Atlantic reports.

Post Note: Deputies wrapped things up Thursday for a vacation, and also your correspondent. The newsletter will be back in your inbox in two weeks. We wish you a happy solstice season!

– Stephen Maher



Reference-www.macleans.ca

Leave a Comment