Quebec orders public inquiry into killings of young sisters in 2020


The announcement comes a day after the Quebec coroner’s office assigned a Montreal police investigator to review the initial investigation.

Article content

“Considering the circumstances surrounding the deaths of Norah and Romy Carpentier as well as their father Martin Carpentierholding a public inquiry will, I hope, shed light on this terrible drama,” public security minister Geneviève Guilbault said in a communiqué Wednesday morning.

In July 2020, Martin Carpentier abducted and killed his daughters Norah, 11, and Romy, 6. The 44-year-old Carpentier then took his own life. The girls’ bodies were discovered in a wooded area of ​​St-Apollinaire, near Quebec City.

The announcement of a public inquiry comes a day after the Quebec coroner’s office said it had received new information on the case and assigned a Montreal police investigator to review the initial investigation into the incident.

Article content

The review of the case ordered by the chief coroner followed a report on the Radio-Canada investigative news program Enquête that questioned how the initial investigation — led by the Sûreté du Québec — was handled.

Last November, investigating coroner Sophie Régnière met with reporters one week after tabling her report on the deaths of the two girls. Régnière’s primary criticism was that the police took too long to issue an Amber Alert once it was clear the girls had been abducted.

She also recommended the Quebec government create a specialized police squad specializing in the disappearances of children across the province.


Leave a Comment