Ontario man receives Guinness World Record for oldest person to receive kidney transplant

An elderly man living in the Greater Toronto Area has just been officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the oldest person to have received a kidney transplant.

Walter Tauro, of Markham, was 87 years old when he underwent the procedure at St. Michael’s Hospital in June 2023. Months later, in March, Guinness World Records awarded Tauro the title of Older kidney transplant recipient for a man..

Tauro told CTV News Toronto during an interview that he was on dialysis for four years and had hour-long visits every other day to receive treatment for his kidney disease.

It left him terribly tired and weak, Tauro said, so he considered surgery.

“Everyone was like, ‘No, no, you’re too old,'” Tauro said Wednesday. “I said, ‘I want to take the risk. If I live, I will live happily.” “I had a good chance of living, so they gave me a chance.”

The Kidney Transplant Program at Downtown Toronto Hospital is a specialized center for people with severe kidney disease. According to the hospital, in its article about Taurus surgeryThe elderly man underwent several evaluations and conversations with the hospital before he was finally given the go-ahead for a kidney transplant.

“In our program, what matters is not the age of the patient, but rather the patient’s overall health,” Meriam Jayoma-Austria, a registered nurse in the kidney transplant program, said in the St. Michael’s article. “Walter went through the program without a hitch, from his cardiac evaluations to a bone marrow analysis.”

When the day of the surgery arrived, June 11, 2023, Taurus’s son, Lionel, didn’t know he was going to do it.

“He regularly went to get tests at the hospital, so I was wondering why everyone was saying goodbye to my father,” Lionel Tauro told CTV News Toronto. “My dad didn’t want me to worry. So I told him: ‘Okay dad, you’re going to take a test, I’ll see you tomorrow.’ And then Dad gets in the taxi and goes to the hospital himself.”

The next morning, Lionel Tauro received a call from his mother to inform him that his father’s surgery had been completed.

“I was stunned,” said Lionel Tauro.

According to Walter Tauro, the surgery lasted six hours and he woke up feeling “good.”

“Normally people stay there for seven to ten days, I end up staying there for a month,” said Tauro, who needed to recover from some infections. But now, almost 10 months later, his new kidney is working well.

Dr. Ramesh Prasad, a St. Michael’s doctor who worked closely with Tauro, told the hospital that he was amazed at how quickly he recovered from the procedure.

“The program constantly strives for excellence; I hope this is just the beginning of treating the aging population with such good results,” Prasad said.

Taurus is grateful to have taken advantage of the opportunity of the operation.

“It is a very risky and dangerous operation because when you are old it is difficult to control yourself, to improve it takes time. But I made it, thank God.”

Leave a Comment