Early Tuesday morning, parents received word from the Lethbridge School Division that Winston Churchill High School would be closed for the day and students would be sent home as a “precautionary measure” after the school administration received a notice. electronically threatens.
At 9 a.m., what should have been a hub of activity resembled a ghost town, with just two Lethbridge police officers and a couple of adults leaving the school, while a marked LPS van was outside.
LPS confirmed that police were investigating the threat and by 10:56 a.m., all staff and students at the scene had been escorted and were safe.
Just before noon, a second public high school canceled all remaining classes, while Lethbridge police investigated the threatening statements that were located at the Lethbridge Collegiate Institute.
Omicron COVID variant is ‘scary’, says Trudeau, but summer will be ‘better’
Ontario’s Best Doctor to Provide COVID Update Tuesday
Students could be seen getting into cars and circling outside the building as school buses pulled away from LCI.
After an investigation into both matters, police say there is no immediate threat to either school.
“Subsequently, the police searched both schools, but no evidence was found suggesting any risk to students or staff,” the statement said, in part. “The police do not believe that the two incidents are connected.”
Both investigations are working to determine the identity of those responsible for the threats.
A division confirmed out of school will continue as usual at LCI on Wednesday, adding that scheduled extracurricular sports will continue Tuesday afternoon. Winston Churchill will also be open on Wednesday.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
The Canadian News
Canada’s largets news curation site with over 20+ agency partners