As students prepare to return to the classroom in three weeks, some parents have mixed feelings that the New Brunswick Department of Early Childhood Development and Education has not released its back-to-school plan.

In March 2020, Education Minister Dominic Cardy quickly closed schools to help control the spread of COVID-19, and the province developed a plan for in-school and distance learning for the remainder of the year.

But what will happen this year, as New Brunswick is at the green level of its pandemic plan, remains to be seen.

Read more:

New Brunswick parents and teachers look forward to a school year in person

Global News made two requests to speak with Cardy, but both times she was told that she would only be available after the plan was published.

The story continues below the ad.

Some parents feel the pressure.

Jenna Morton, a mother of three elementary-aged children, said not having the plan yet is daunting. It has caused a lot of anxiety for her and her family.

Read more:

COVID-19 – New Brunswick Schedules School-Based Vaccination Clinic in Saint John

She said her children attend a relatively small school in Salisbury and that comforts her, but having no idea of ​​the rules is a problem.

“I know there are still a lot of variables, but I feel like it could have been a much better approach to help parents and students manage their anxiety about what is going to happen,” he said in an interview Tuesday. “I can understand that it’s going to take some time there, it’s probably still going to change what will have to happen, but I feel like we’ve been left hanging.”

Trending on Canadian News  Families with children with disabilities demand inclusive parks from the municipalities

That sentiment is shared by Moncton’s father, Ian Pert, who said he agreed with the way the province has handled the response to the global pandemic.

He said he feels the uncertainty of all of this is troubling.

Read more:

COVID-19 – New Brunswick Schedules School-Based Vaccination Clinic in Saint John

The story continues below the ad.

“With the Delta variant spreading and the children not vaccinated, it seems to me that there is more effect on the children, more symptomatic response and without a plan, without that security of knowing that there is a plan… it worries me much more. I feel more concerned this year than last year, ”he said.

Pert said it will depend on many factors, but that in the event of a major outbreak he would not hesitate to remove his son from school.

Others, however, are confident in the department’s ability to handle the back-to-school implementation given the way they handled it in March.

Both of Jackie McLean’s children are fully vaccinated and she said she believes it is important to send the children back so they can get back to normal.

Read more:

Optimistic child care provider New Brunswick to eventually sign a cheaper daycare plan

“I don’t feel a lot of discomfort because this plan is not yet available,” he said in an interview. “I’m sure it will be in place when school starts. I am sure that the children will be able to adapt. I mean, we’ve had a year of pandemic learning that is truly unprecedented. “

Trending on Canadian News  Ontario Sports Betting: DraftKings expects Q2 launch in iGaming market

The Department of Early Childhood Development and Education said the plan will be released later this week and Cardy will be available to the media at that time.

The story continues below the ad.

He adds that the department is following the ever-changing science to keep students safe this upcoming school year.

See link »


© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Reference-globalnews.ca

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.