One of the most important thoroughfares on the South Shore, Boulevard Sainte-Foy, will return to the name Chemin du Coteau-Rouge, which it bore between 1730 and 1957.

• Read also: Longueuil: an elderly lady burned in her apartment

• Read also: [PHOTOS] Longueuil: a cigarette butt forces the evacuation of a triplex and causes damage of $250,000

This was a recommendation from the city’s toponymy committee, in order to highlight the history of Ville Jacques-Cartier. The City should ratify this change at its next municipal council, on May 17.

The Mayor of Longueuil, Catherine Fournier, will make the announcement as part of the 75th anniversary of Ville Jacques-Cartier and Mackayville, two municipalities founded in 1947 and now merged in Longueuil.

“This is one of many stories that are part of our collective heritage, and this story deserves to be told, commemorated. Not only is it part of Longueuil’s heritage, but it also represents a whole section of that of Quebec that we must honor,” said Ms. Fournier.

The name of Coteau-Rouge refers to the topography, higher than the coast on the river, as well as to the red color of the “atocas”, a word of Aboriginal origin to designate the cranberry. The appellation appeared for the first time in notarial deeds in 1730, under the French Regime.

It was replaced in 1957 following an approach by Lorenzo Defoy, who was then a municipal councillor.




Reference-www.journaldemontreal.com

Trending on Canadian News  Center for Young Parents enterprise project

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.