The nightly closure of the Senneterre emergency room was necessary, the government said, due to the lack of nursing staff in the region.

Article content

The Quebec government said Thursday that “there are no grounds at this time for a forensic investigation” after a 65-year-old Senneterre man died following a 130-kilometer ambulance trip that was necessitated by the nightly lockdown ordered by the governance of your local emergency room.

Commercial

Article content

However, the Liberal opposition said Prime Minister François Legault bears part of the responsibility for the situation, and the Liberals, Parti Québécois and Québec Solidaire are calling for a forensic investigation to examine the incident.

Richard Genest had been suffering from stomachaches and was required to be transported 80 miles on Monday because the emergency room at his local clinic had been closed between 4 p.m. and 8 a.m. since October 18.

Quebec Health Minister Christian Dubé told reporters that the medical examiner had said that “there is no relationship between death and these two services (ambulance and emergency room).”

But during the question period, Quebec liberal leader Dominique Anglade said: “If there is one person who has a responsibility, it is the prime minister.”

Commercial

Article content

That accusation quickly got Legault to his feet. “I would invite her to calm down,” he said. “I would invite her to be worthy of her role.”

Trending on Canadian News  Vaughn Palmer: Horgan's frustration bubbles over at lack of a health-care fix

Meanwhile, the Parti Québécois held Dubé responsible for the contingency plan that saw Genest die at the end of his ambulance transport.

“Who decided to close this emergency room? It was the government, Mr. Dubé and Mr. Legault, ”Anglade later told reporters as the opposition raged over what he described as“ bush medicine ”.

PQ MNA Joël Arseneau said that opposition parties had proposed alternatives to the closure of the Senneterre emergency room, but that Dubé had already endorsed a contingency plan, adding that the minister is responsible for providing front-line medical care.

The closure was temporary but necessary, the government said, due to the lack of nursing staff in the region.

Anglade pointed out that at the beginning of the ER closing, the mayor of Senneterre was only able to talk about the issue with Dubé for a few minutes.

    Commercial

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively yet civilized discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to moderate before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications – you will now receive an email if you receive a response to your comment, there is an update from a comment thread you follow, or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Principles for more information and details on how to adjust your E-mail settings.

Reference-montrealgazette.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.