Kate, Princess of Wales, and Prince William ‘extremely touched’ by support

There has been a global outpouring of support.

Article content

LONDON – Kate, Princess of Wales, and her husband Prince William are said to be “extremely touched” by the public’s warmth and support following her shocking cancer announcement, as tributes continued to pour in on Sunday from everyone.

After weeks of frantic speculation on social media about her health and well-being, Kate said in a candid video message on Friday that she is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer following major abdominal surgery. The 42-year-old princess said the discovery of cancer was a “huge shock” and that she was now in the early stages of preventive chemotherapy.

Advertisement 2

Article content

Article content

“The prince and princess are hugely touched by the kind messages from people here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth and around the world in response to Her Royal Highness’s message,” a Kensington Palace spokesperson said. “They are very touched by the public’s warmth and support and are grateful for their understanding of their request for privacy at this time.”

There has been an outpouring of global support, including from US President Joe Biden and King Charles III, who is also receiving cancer treatment. Neither Kate nor the king have revealed what type of cancer they have or what stage it is being treated at.

People have flocked to London’s main royal residence, Kensington Palace, as well as Windsor Castle, where they spend most of their time, to show their support for the princess, with many leaving flowers.

Until Friday, officials had only said that Kate’s surgery in January was successful and that recovery would keep the princess away from public duties until April. This has sparked a flurry of rumors about the future queen being “missing”, compounded after Kate acknowledged that she altered an official photograph released to mark Mother’s Day in the UK earlier this month.

Advertisement 3

Article content

The photo, intended to reassure the public, sparked a backlash after The Associated Press and other news agencies retracted it for fear of manipulation.

Even a video published last week by The Sun and TMZ that appeared to show Kate and William shopping near their home did not dispel the negative coverage.

Criticism of those who reached sometimes extravagant conclusions continued over the weekend.

Paddy Harverson, previously an official spokesman for Kate and the Prince of Wales, said the speculation and pressure about Kate’s health and whereabouts before her video statement was “the worst I have ever seen in my life.”

However, he said he thought Kate would have revealed her cancer diagnosis exactly as she did, regardless of what was speculated.

“I’m absolutely convinced that if we hadn’t had all the madness and social media, if we hadn’t had the kind of Mother’s Day photo error, they would still have done it that way,” he told the BBC. “They still would have waited until last Friday, when schools are separating, to make the announcement.”

Article content

Leave a Comment