Jalisco builders bet on industrial spaces

Guadalajara, Jal. Derived from the increase in the attraction of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and the increase in the demand for industrial spaces, the construction sector is betting on increasing the inventory of industrial parks in the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area (AMG).

At this time, new industrial buildings are under construction that will increase the inventory by 261,000 square meters, Javier Lemarroy, the director of the Association of Industrial Parks of the State of Jalisco (APIEJ), told El Economista.

Based on data from the real estate services consultancy CBRE, the manager explained that almost 40% of the new constructions (103,500 square meters) are industrial spaces that are built on demand and with the specifications of the companies that are going to occupy them, while The remaining 60% will be added to the inventory of speculative spaces.

According to figures from the Ministry of Economic Development (Sedeco) of Jalisco, in the first half of 2021 the entity attracted 874.7 million dollars of FDI, and in 2020 the figure rose to 2,133 million.

According to the director of APIEJ, investments, both for expansion and for new companies, are what have generated growth in the sector.

He added that, although traditional industrial parks continue to grow, the Covid-19 pandemic that generated a change in the consumption habits of goods and services in the country, pushed electronic commerce, which led to the need to build centers of distribution that, in turn, gave rise to the concept of last-mile parks.

“The sector that most demands industrial spaces is logistics (…) The logistics requirements have led to an upward curve in the absorption of square meters in industrial parks,” said Lemarroy, specifying that, regarding the origin of the investment, 70% is foreign capital.

[email protected]


Leave a Comment