There was cause for celebration at the Blue Jays’ clubhouse on Friday night for reasons that went far beyond a major 10-2 win over the Texas Rangers.
Before taking the field for the lopsided victory, the Jays were informed that they had received a national interest waiver from the federal government for cross-border travel. After nearly a year on the road, the boys in blue and white return to the Rogers Center with their first home stay scheduled for July 30 against the Kansas City Royals.
“I was really happy,” Jays manager Charlie Montoyo said. “It was like going into this game with a lot of momentum. Everyone was smiling, everyone was happy. I was excited, all the coaches were excited. It was great news. “
The Jays haven’t hosted a game at the Rogers Center since Sept. 27, 2019. That means there are some players who have never set foot in the stadium. Then there are veterans like Friday night starter Robbie Ray and second baseman Marcus Semien, who have played there before but never in a Blue Jays uniform.
“It should be fun,” Ray said after throwing six 2/3 scoreless innings. “I’ve never been to the clubhouse from home, so that’s something I’m looking forward to, checking it out there. I have pitched there before. I feel like I really enjoy the field. The city is clean. It’s a big city. Overall, perhaps the most important thing is being able to be there, having not been there for the last year or so. We are looking forward to that. “
For the Blue Jays, this is the third move of the season. They started in Dunedin, Florida, moved to Buffalo in early June and will now be returning to Toronto soon.
“It was very exciting to see the official news,” said Jays infielder Cavan Biggio. “Bringing last year to this, going to summer camp and ultimately not being able to play here. It’s a really satisfying feeling to finally be able to come back and play in front of our own fans at the Rogers Center. “
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The Canadian News
Canada’s largets news curation site with over 20+ agency partners