Husband and wife killed in Caledon shooting were ‘in the wrong place at the wrong time’: family

The family of a couple killed in a shooting in Caledon last November held a vigil in Brampton on Saturday to demand justice, as no arrests have yet been made in the case.

“I feel very sad because my entire family has been shot,” said Gurdit Singh Sidhu. His parents, Jagtar Sidhu and Harbhajan Sidhu, and his sister were shot at his home on Mayfield Road shortly before midnight on November 20.

Jagtar was declared dead on the spot, while Harbhajan and her daughter were rushed to the hospital with serious injuries. The matriarch later died in the hospital.

Gurdit said his sister remains in the hospital, where she is recovering. He noted that she had been able to talk a little.

At the vigil, Gurdit remembered his parents as “nice” and “good” people who helped others and always cooked for the family.

Gurdit Singh Sidhu

He believes his parents, who were visiting him from India, “were in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Gurdit is seeking answers to several questions he has about the circumstances surrounding the shooting, including why Peel police officers visited his parents days before the shooting. He claimed that the officers asked about the “identification” of his parents.

“They should have known something was going to happen,” he said. Gurdit shared that she feels the shooting and the death of her parents could have been prevented in the first place.

His cousin, Paramvir Bhatti, said the family only rented the upper floor of the residence and other tenants lived in other parts of the house at the time.

Bhatti noted that Jagtar and Harbhajan loved their stay in Canada and planned to stay here longer.

“They said it’s very safe and beautiful because they came in the summer. You know summer in Ontario is beautiful,” he said. “They said we’ll stay longer after the snow. We’ll see next summer too.”

At the vigil, attendees held signs that read: “Innocent visitors brutally murdered,” “Stop illegal weapons” and “Total failure of law and order.”

Brampton Vigil

Bhatti said they want concrete actions from all levels of government to ensure communities are safe and violent incidents like this can be avoided.

“Once (the suspects) are caught, they should always be behind bars for life without parole. That’s what we want,” he said.


Sukhwinder Singh, a family friend who was at the house that November night, recounted what he saw and heard.

He said he was working on his laptop when he heard a gunshot, which he initially thought was a tire that had burst.

However, seconds later he heard a burst of gunshots, forcing him to run upstairs.

Sukhwinder said he saw a man run out of the house and get into the passenger side of a vehicle. He pointed out that there was already a driver waiting.

“Then I ran back and it was very horrible to see that they shot my entire family. It was my friend’s family, but they treat me like their son,” Sukhwinder said, adding that he found the couple and their daughter in different places. rooms suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

“It was something I had never seen before.”

He said he tried to perform CPR on all three until police and paramedics arrived and took over.

Two months after the shooting, Sukhwinder said he was still trying to process what happened but wanted to be at the vigil to call for an end to the violence.

“Whatever happens to us, we don’t want something similar to happen to anyone else,” he said.

“If this happened to me, it could happen to anyone else, right?”

He also has questions about the Peel police visit before the shooting.

“They came, they looked, they checked IDs and they went (on their way),” Sukhwinder said.

If the police knew something, he said, they should have informed the family.

“If they didn’t want to tell us, they should have been around the property, right? Patrolling or something.”

On Saturday, a Peel police spokesperson confirmed that the homicide bureau contacted the family on Nov. 16 regarding an undisclosed investigation.

“All aspects of this case are now part of an active and ongoing investigation with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), and any additional updates will be provided at the appropriate time,” said Const. Tyler Bell-Morena said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the OPP has not made any arrests in the shooting. In their most recent update over two weeks ago, they continue to search for the “multiple people” involved.

No suspect descriptions have been released.

An individual was last seen getting into a pickup truck that was heading west on Mayfield Road. Police have released images of the vehicle, which is believed to be the same van that was engulfed in flames on Olde Baseline and Creditview roads hours after the shooting.


As for a possible motive, police have not indicated what sparked the shooting. When asked if investigators were looking into a case of mistaken identity, the OPP said last month that “all possible factors are part of the ongoing investigation.”

On Thursday, an OPP spokesperson said they were aware of speculation and rumors on social media about the case.

“We cannot comment on what others say, but we encourage anyone with information that could assist in the investigation to contact the OPP or Crime Stoppers.”

Investigators continue to seek additional dash camera footage from the shooting scene, as well as the fire scene, between 11 p.m. on Nov. 20 and 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 21.

They are also urging anyone who may have seen the van in Caledon or anywhere in Peel Region between 5pm and midnight on November 20 to contact police at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

With files from CP24’s Andrew Brennan

Leave a Comment