Going ‘cavewoman style’: Woman tells how she saved a 7-year-old boy from a cougar

Alishea Morrison said she acted on instinct when she saved 7-year-old Cason Feuser from a mountain lion attack on Sunday.

Cason and her two sisters were staying with Morrison at a camp near Buster Creek, Alta., along with three other children. The six had been trying to catch frogs near the river, Morrison said, when he heard one of the girls yell, “Puma!”

He jumped out of his chair and ran down to see the cougar on top of the boy, its jaws clenched around his head.

“It was like a split second. I just grabbed a rock and hit the cougar in the head somehow, and didn’t hit Cason, thank God, and he took it down.”

The mountain lion ran toward the camp before Morrison’s dog, Jersey, chased it away and headed into the woods. After the cougar died, she said she knew he needed to stop the bleeding and call 911.

“Those three things just happened. I didn’t think about them, it just happened,” she said. “I’m sure my training probably helped.”

Morrison, a registered nurse and nurse practitioner, took Cason to the trailer and wrapped his wounds in towels. Her niece helped lobby when Morrison had to move to reconnect to the cell phone network to call 911.

Paramedics arrived about 30 minutes later and took Carson away while they waited for STARS to arrive. Morrison called Cason’s mother, Chay Feuser, to tell her what happened. A few hours later, Morrison and the other children left the camp and headed home.


Cason is doing well after surgery and out of the hospital, his mother said, and both she and Morrison are thankful the attack wasn’t worse. It’s something you worry about, she said, but you never think it will happen.

Morrison is an experienced outdoors woman and said she was actually prepared for something like this. There was a gun in the trailer and a readily accessible knife in the camp. Still, in the end, instinct saved Cason, he adds.

“I was as prepared as I think I could have been and, you know, having to go cavewoman style with a rock was just what happened. The gun was useless to me in the trailer,” she said, adding that the cougar was on Cason for only eight to 10 seconds.

“That’s all it took. So if she had gone and grabbed a gun or a knife, it would have been another 20 seconds. And I think about that.”


The children are doing very well, Morrisson said, but she worries that the day’s trauma has robbed her family of their love of the woods and feelings of safety in the great outdoors.

He adds that an attack like this is rare and he doesn’t want the story to scare people away from being outdoors and enjoying nature, but he recommends having first aid training and knowing where cell service points are in the country. area in case of emergency

There are no future plans for Morrison and his family to return to the field anytime soon, but he hopes they will one day.

“I have many emotions. I think there is a bit of blame. I wish there had been something he could have done that it never happened in the first place,” she said.

“I’m hoping that with a little therapy and counseling for the kids and myself, and for Chay and his family, we can love the woods again maybe at some point.”

Leave a Comment