Teams will be able to select up to 26 players for this year’s World Cup, after world soccer’s governing body, the FIFAincreased this Thursday the maximum limit of templates by three.

FIFA said the change was due to the tournament’s unusual schedule, as well as the impact of the Covid-19 in templates. The competition in Qatar will be held from November 21 to December 18.

“The number of players to be included in the final list has been increased to a minimum of 23 and a maximum of 26,” he said in a statement.

No more than 26 people (up to 15 substitutes and 11 assistants) will be allowed to sit on the team bench.”

The UEFA made a similar decision last year, allowing teams to pick three extra players for the European Championship due to the pandemic.

The International Football Association Board gave the green light this month to the use of five substitutions in matches, which was initially introduced as a rule adjustment due to Covid-19.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.