A trip abroad has become a major headache for an Edmonton family, as their flight home from Morocco was suddenly suspended after a surge in COVID-19 cases in that country.

Samira Hamana left Edmonton to go to Morocco with her three children, ages 6, 9 and 13, on July 16. He has been closely following government updates and said that if he had known that there was a possibility that flights would be restricted from Morocco, he would have done so. never boarded a plane in the first place.

“If that was the case, if the borders were closed, if I had any ideas, I wouldn’t have traveled until everything is clear,” Hamana said.

Hamana and her oldest son are fully vaccinated, and on August 29 the family received negative COVID-19 tests to travel home on August 30, when the Canadian government restricted all direct commercial flights to Canada until September 29.

The story continues below the ad.

Read more:

‘Laggards’: Canada’s Extended Flight Ban Affects Indian Students

The move comes after an increase in positive COVID-19 test results from travelers who returned from Morocco over the past month. Hamana wishes there had been more notice so they could have returned home sooner.

“It was such a disappointing moment.”

Hamana said the family went on a trip to visit the older grandparents, but they are all ready to return to Edmonton. Especially the children, who are eager to go back to school.

“My kids are heartbroken and they also start crying because for a year and a half, they have to go to school online and they didn’t see their friends.”

A petition has been created by Moroccans Canada MDC to try to change the opinion of the federal government. Hamana is also concerned about other people who came to Morocco from Canada and believed they could return home.

“Some of them will lose their jobs, some have university and some of them receive treatment.”

There is an option to get home, but it is expensive.

Since direct flights are suspended, the family could fly somewhere like Portugal and then Canada, but it could cost more than $ 10,000.

The story continues below the ad.

“We feel abandoned by their own government, like their own country. I know that the Canadian government is trying to protect all Canadians and I understand that. however, we have to look for different solutions, ”Hamana said.

Read more:

‘I’m not afraid of COVID’: why some Canadians choose to travel abroad amid a pandemic

According to the World Health Organization, the week of August 23, more than 43,000 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Morocco. At the same time, in Canada there were more than 20,000.

On the Government of Canada website, it says that Canada has some of the strictest travel and border measures in the world. Canada continues to closely monitor the situation and will work closely with the Government of Morocco and aviation operators to ensure that proper procedures are in place to allow for a safe resumption of direct flights as soon as conditions permit.

At this time, the plan is to resume flights on September 29, but there is a possibility that it will be extended.

Hamana said he has contacted his local deputy, the Canadian embassy and the prime minister’s office.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Reference-globalnews.ca

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.