New Brunswick reported 95 new COVID-19 cases and two deaths Thursday, as well as 78 recoveries.

There are currently 691 active cases in the province.

Read more:

No maritime cases yet, but provinces are on guard for Omicron COVID-19 variant

Public Health confirmed that the deaths are of a person over the age of 90 in Zone 1 (Moncton region) and a person in his 70s in Zone 2 (Saint John region).

In total, 59 people are hospitalized with the virus. The province noted in a press release that 26 of those 59 people were initially admitted for other reasons and later contracted COVID-19 due to outbreaks at Moncton, Saint John and Miramichi hospitals.

“Most infected people currently have mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19,” the statement read.

The story continues below the ad.

Of those hospitalized, 16 people are in intensive care. Twelve people use fans. It is also noteworthy that a person under the age of 19 is currently hospitalized.


Click to play video: 'New Brunswick's First Children Receive COVID Vaccines.'



The first children in New Brunswick receive COVID vaccines.


The first children in New Brunswick receive COVID vaccines.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province’s medical director of health, said that in the ICU, the rate of unvaccinated versus vaccinated people “is more than 30 times higher.”

Meanwhile, 81.8 percent of eligible New Brunswick residents are fully vaccinated and 87 percent have received a first dose.

‘We don’t want to cancel Christmas’

Health Minister Dorothy Shephard repeated the reminders for people to follow public health measures, such as physical distancing, wearing masks and vaccination.

Trending on Canadian News  'It's in his blood' - how 'ruthless' Richarlison grabbed his chance

He also told reporters that people should stop planning for Christmas as the number of new cases remains high and community transmission persists.

The story continues below the ad.

Read more:

NB Health Minister Does Not Rule Out More COVID-19 Restrictions Ahead of Holidays

“We don’t want to cancel Christmas,” Shephard said Thursday.

“I don’t know how to convey to the public that we need your support to follow public health measures. We should know something by Monday. “

Breakdown of cases

The 27 new cases in Zone 1 (Moncton region) are as follows:

  • 12 people 19 years or younger
  • five people 20-29
  • three people 30-39
  • two people 40-49
  • three people 50-59
  • two people 70-79

Twenty-one cases are under investigation, five are contacts of previously confirmed cases and one case is travel related.

The 17 new cases in Zone 2 (Saint John region) are as follows:

  • four cases aged 19 or younger
  • two people 20-29
  • a person 30-39
  • two people 40-49
  • three people 50-59
  • two people 60-69
  • three people 70-79

Ten cases are under investigation and seven are contacts of previously confirmed cases.

Read more:

COVID-19 Virus Found in 3 Quebec Deer, Canadian Officials Say

The 30 new cases in Zone 3 (Fredericton region) are as follows:

The story continues below the ad.

  • 15 people 19 years or younger
  • four people 20-29
  • three people 30-39
  • four people 40-49
  • a person 50-59
  • a person 60-69
  • a person 70-79
  • a person 80-89

Nineteen cases are under investigation and 11 are contacts of previously confirmed cases.

The only new case in Zone 5 (Campbellton region) is a person 19 years of age or younger. This case is a contact from a previously confirmed case.

Trending on Canadian News  Google doodle honors Colchester's Royal McCoy

The 20 new cases in Zone 7 (Miramichi region) are as follows:

  • six people age 19 or younger
  • two people 30-39
  • seven people 40-49
  • two people 50-59
  • three people 70-79

Twelve cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases and eight cases are under investigation.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Reference-globalnews.ca

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.