Camp Resident Marjorie Suffers Fatal Overdose – Regina | The Canadian News

On Tuesday morning, a resident staying at Camp Marjorie was found unconscious by volunteer personnel and could not be resuscitated, in what is called a fatal overdose.

“All of this could have been prevented,” said Regina Needle Recovery Executive Director of Community Support Nicole Neisner.

Read more:

Regina’s tent town ‘Camp Marjorie’ meets with minister of social services

She says the new Saskatchewan income support program implemented by the Saskatchewan government makes collecting rent much more difficult than in the past.

Neisner, who is also an owner, says: “We are more than happy to rent to people on welfare, but at the end of the day we need to get paid and that is not happening. If they could change it so that the owner receives the check in the mail as it is, ”he said.

The story continues below the ad.

Saskatchewan Prime Minister Scott Moe said in a speech Monday that the government is seeking other opportunities for addiction treatment and detox spaces in the province, and that the goal is to add 150 treatment spaces in the next three years. .

“Officials have been visiting Camp Marjorie frequently to provide government services that people can ultimately qualify for. We have services and housing to offer, we have social services and staff who are willing to answer any questions you may have, “he added in a speech this afternoon.

Read more:

Regina’s Camp Marjorie Seeks Donations As Winter Approaches

Neisner says now is the time for the government to act.

“I have been deeply impacted by the overdose in my life and it never gets easier and we just need more comprehensive support for members of our community. We need an interior space, at the end of the day we need the province and the city to step forward and give us a place to transfer these people, ”he said.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Leave a Comment