Burmese military junta kills Save the Children employees

Rangoon. The NGO Save the Children confirmed on Tuesday the death of two of its employees who have disappeared since the massacre of some 35 civilians in Burma on December 24.

“It is with deep sadness that we confirm today that two Save the Children staff were among the at least 35 people, including women and children, who died on Friday, December 24, in an attack by the Burmese army in Kayah state. “the NGO said in a statement.

The NGO explained that the two murdered men were young parents. One of them was in charge of training teachers and the other had joined the NGO six years ago.

Photos showing two trucks and a car with charred human remains inside appeared on social media on Saturday on a highway in Hpruso.

That same day, a spokesman for the board, Zaw Min Tun, admitted that there had been fighting in the area the day before and that the soldiers had killed a number of people, but without giving details.

“The military forced people to get out of their cars, arrested some, killed many and burned the bodies,” according to the NGO.

“We are shocked by the violence against civilians and our staff, who are committed humanitarian workers, helping millions of children in need in Burma,” stated its director general, Inger Ashing.

Burma has been in chaos since the February coup, with more than 1,300 people killed in a crackdown on security forces, according to a local monitoring group.

Sale of weapons

Yesterday, the United States government asked again for “an end to arms sales” to the Burmese military junta after a massacre attributed to the army.

“The international community must do more to advance this goal and prevent the recurrence of atrocities in Burma, including by ending the sale of dual-use weapons and technology” to the ruling military junta, said the US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, in a statement.



Reference-www.eleconomista.com.mx

Leave a Comment