After more than a year of being available and with the impending launch of Android 12, OnePlus is almost ready to roll out OxygenOS 11 (Android 11) on its OnePlus 6 series of phones.
The first beta of OxygenOS 11 is finally ready for the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T. However, in true OnePlus fashion, the company removed the download links to resolve some issues. It is not clear whether users of the OnePlus Open Beta Program they are still getting the update over the air.
I expect the full update to roll out for users in the next month or two based on how long the update for the OnePlus 7 and 8 series arrived after those beta versions were announced.
Once the update is available, it will finally bring the new visual design of the software to OxgenOS for people still using older devices. In my experience, I like software design. The animations and the look really make the system feel modern and distinctive enough like OnePlus (aka Oppo).
Moving forward, now that OnePlus and Oppo are working together more openly, the company promises faster software updates. Hopefully this turns out to be true, but with OnePlus’s recent update schedule and stability, I’m not sure if this merger will fix this right away.
However, I will mention that OnePlus has reverted the gallery layout to a simpler grid layout, for better or worse. For more information on OxygenOS, check out my in-depth review of OxygenOS 11.
The full update notes are below.
- Updated to OxygenOS 11 version
- Fresh new visual UI design gives you a more comfortable experience with various detail optimizations
- Since this is a big Android update with multiple new features, the update process may be a bit longer, please be patient.
- Newly added game toolbox for convenient Fnatic mode switches. Now you can choose three forms of notifications: text only, notice and block, just for your immersive gaming experience
- Newly added quick reply feature in a small window for Instagram, WhatsApp and Telegram (enable it by swiping down from the top right / left corners of the screen in game mode)
- Newly added bad contact prevention feature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will appear.
- The camera’s user interface has been updated and some of the function paths have been optimized for more convenient operation.
- Newly added Insight watch style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data (To configure: Settings> Personalization> Clock on ambient screen)
- Newly added canvas feature that can automatically draw wireframe image based on lock screen photo on your phone （Path: Settings – Personalization – Wallpaper – Canvas – Choose photo preview and it can be generated automatically)
- Added shortcut for dark mode, you can pull down Quick Settings panel and find it
- Supports auto enable by time range (path: Settings – Display – Dark mode – Auto turn on – Auto turn on from dusk to dawn / Custom time range)
- Shelf interface design recently, the interface is more clear
- Added weather widget, smarter animation effect