Accused Killer Escapes North Fraser Pretrial Center


A man on trial in a gang-related murder case escaped from the North Fraser Pretrial Center.


Multiple sources confirmed that Rabih Alkhalil left Port Coquitlam on Thursday night after blowing a hole in the fence with a plasma torch. He was wearing a construction vest.

On Thursday night, the Coquitlam RCMP issued a press release alerting the public to the leak.

Const. Deanna Law said Alkhalil, 35, is considered dangerous. She said North Fraser staff called police at 7:30 pm about the escape.

“Right now the RCMP is working closely with BC Corrections and the investigation is ongoing,” he said.

“Alkhalil is confirmed to have left in a White Econoline van with two others posing as contractors or employed. The van left North Fraser Pretrial at approximately 6:48 pm and traveled west on Kingsway Avenue.


Alkhalil is described as 5’10” and 166 pounds with short black hair and brown eyes.

“If you see Alkhalil, the police ask you to stay away from him and to call 911 immediately,” Law said.

Rabih (Robby) Alkhalil, right, and Larry Ronald Amero have been on trial at the British Columbia Supreme Court in Vancouver since June 29, 2021.
Rabih (Robby) Alkhalil, right, and Larry Ronald Amero have been on trial at the British Columbia Supreme Court in Vancouver since June 29, 2021. Photo from court files /PNG

Alkhalil is charged in connection with the January 2012 first-degree murder of gangster Sandip Duhre in the lobby of the Sheraton Wall Centre. And he is also accused of conspiring with others to assassinate Sukh Dhak between August 6, 2011 and August 8, 2012. He has pleaded guilty to both counts.

Alkhalil is not the first person to escape from North Fraser, a provincial jail run by BC Corrections.

In August 2008, Dean Douglas Sykes posed as his own cellmate and was brought to court where he was released as the other man. When he was later caught, he received a 14-month sentence.


And in November 2007, gangster Omid Tahvili paid off a prison guard who helped him escape from North Fraser. He was never recaptured.

BC Corrections Officer. It has not been recaptured.

BC corrections officer, edwin ticneHe was subsequently sentenced to three years, three months in prison for breach of trust. Crown lost an appeal to increase the sentence.

Tahvili’s escape was recorded by video cameras showing that Ticne “escorted Mr. Tahvili through four security doors between his housing unit and the public exit of the remand center where they were separated.” noted the BC Court of Appeals.

Ticne then “facilitated Mr. Tahvili’s passage through the security gates by pressing buttons that alerted staff in the central control area who opened the gates after identifying the defendant and a person who appeared to be a hired cleaner.”

Tahvili had changed into clothes that matched those worn by hired cleaners at the pretrial detention center.

Ticne was released from jail and “drove to a nearby gas station where he would receive $50,000 to get Mr. Tahvili out of prison,” the court ruling said. “No one received it and no money was received.”

At the time of his escape, Tahvili was awaiting sentencing for kidnapping, sexual assault, and threats of death or bodily harm. He was sentenced in absentia to six years and three months.

[email protected]

Leave a Comment