Numerous commemorations will take place this summer to celebrate the 100th birthday of René Lévesque, a key figure in the history of Québec.
It is from the National Day 2022, and until that of 2023, that the “Lévesque Year” will be held, an opportunity to honor the memory of the 23rd Premier of Quebec. The celebrations will begin on June 13, in Montreal, when a round table was organized at the Grande Bibliothèque on the theme of René Lévesque. A range of other activities will take place throughout the year. Among these, there will be a “Grand interview” with Lucien Bouchard, another former Premier of Quebec, at the close of the Rendez-vous d’histoire de Québec, on August 14, as well as the exhibition “René et Lévesque” which will open at the Musée de la civilization on November 17. A tribute show to René Lévesque and the French language is also in the books for February 2023 in Montreal.
“Because Quebecers recognized themselves in him, René Lévesque is part of this line of people who have profoundly changed the course of our recent history. It has transformed the way we talk about ourselves, to conceive of our identity as forged in affirmation and pride, ”said Quebecor President Pierre-Karl Péladeau, via a press release from the René-Lévesque Foundation.
In addition, the Minister responsible for the French language, Simon Jolin-Barrette, wanted to mark the 45th anniversary of the Charter of the French language, on August 26, at the same time as the 100th birthday of René Lévesque.
“The fundamental contribution of this great man to the future of the French language in Quebec should be known to everyone, especially the younger generations. As Mr. Lévesque was, we can be proud to speak French and to form a unique nation with an exceptional background,” he indicated.
Flow of activities
- Until August 21: exhibition in connection with the comic strip “Something like a great man”, Quebec
- June 2022: tribute at the ceremony for the presentation of the insignia of the Ordre national du Québec
- June 23 and 24, 2022: tribute as part of the National Day of Quebec
- August 14, 2022: great interview with Lucien Bouchard at the closing of the Rendez-vous d’histoire de Québec
- August 24, 2022: 100th birthday/Inauguration of “In the footsteps of René Lévesque”, Montreal/Commemoration and open house, Espace René-Lévesque, New Carlisle
- August 26, 2022: 45th anniversary of the adoption of the Charter of the French language
- November 17, 2022: opening of the “René et Lévesque” exhibition at the Musée de la civilization, Québec
- February 2023: tribute show to René Lévesque and the French language, Montreal
- June 2023: activity as part of National Indigenous Peoples Day, Musée de la civilisation, Québec
The Canadian News
Canada’s largets news curation site with over 20+ agency partners