‘A world of potential:’ Second teen killed by hit-and-run car was Burnaby high school student

Yasbirat Ytatek, the oldest of five children, would have attended grade 12 this fall.


The second teenager who died in a fire accident near the Burnaby-New Westminster border earlier this week has been identified.

Announcement 2


Yasbirat Ytatek and his friend Samir Ali were driving home from a football game on Tuesday night when their vehicle was hit by a Nissan Altima fleeing a traffic police checkpoint.

The teenagers were pronounced dead at the Royal Columbian Hospital.

Yasbirat was the oldest of five children, according to a family friend, Mitsilal Weldahaimanot. His family, new immigrants from Ethiopia, live in the Edmonds area of ​​Burnaby and are struggling with the sudden death of his son, who would have started 12th grade this fall.

“Parents are such loving and supportive people who are understandably heartbroken and experiencing unspeakable pain and loss,” said Weldahaimanot, who released a GoFundMe campaign to help Yasbirat’s family cover funeral expenses, rent, food and child care.

Announcement 3


“Neither of his parents are able to work after suffering this tragedy, so we are reaching out to the community to help support the family.”

Yasbirat played rugby and soccer, the fundraiser said. He recently joined the Burnaby District Metro Boys Soccer Team and played rugby for the Byrne Creek Rugby Club.

The club described Yasbirat as “a wonderful youngster with a world of potential ahead of him”, and as “positive and hard-working on the pitch”.

The other victim, Samir, whose legal name is Olyad Suleiman, was a Britannia High School graduate who would attend the University of BC on a $50,000 scholarship in the fall.

Olyad was the eldest of seven children. His family emigrated from Kenya six years ago.

Metro Vancouver Transit Police said their officers had tried to stop a white Nissan Altima at 10th Avenue and 6th Street in New Westminster minutes around 11 p.m. Tuesday.

The speeding vehicle was found on fire “a short time later,” police said, after it struck the teens’ car.

The driver and passenger of the Altima were arrested.

[email protected]


— archived by Gord McIntyre

Announcement 1


Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their thoughts on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We’ve enabled email notifications – you’ll now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there’s an update in a comment thread you follow, or if a user you follow comments. visit our Community Principles for more information and details on how to adjust your E-mail settings.

Leave a Comment