Justin Trudeau supports the unanimous request formulated in the National Assembly on Tuesday to demand an apology from the media consortium which was responsible for preparing the questions during the debate in English, including the opening statement targeting Yves-François Blanchet and Quebec.
• Read also: Quebec and the rest of Canada divided after debate in English
• Read also: Goldwater criticized for comparing Bill 96 to Nazism
“I find the premise of the question unacceptable and I think it would be important for the consortium to explain and apologize. Quebeckers are not racists, ”said Justin Trudeau, who had harsh words towards the Federal Leaders’ Debate Broadcast Group at a press briefing on Wednesday.
The Liberal leader indicated that it was necessary to “work together to improve our country and fight against discrimination where it exists”, but he said that “to make statements” like the one that was included in the question to Mr. Blanchet, “It is not useful for the country and it is insulting for Quebeckers”.
On Wednesday, the elected members of the National Assembly unanimously supported a motion by the Parti Québécois calling for such an apology, denouncing a “hostile lawsuit brought against the Quebec nation”.
Last Friday, François Legault came out virulently against the organizers of the debate, and felt that an apology, in these circumstances, was appropriate.
On the English-speaking side, the consortium brought together CBC News, Global News, CTV News, and APTN News. The text of the motion has been transferred to all media involved.
Yves-François Blanchet had left the debate in anger. He then declared that a “boiler of insults” had been thrown in the face of Quebecers.