Tuesday, May 18

Covid-19 in the world: the Japanese city of Osaka wants to divert the Olympic torch relay

Already postponed, the organization of the Tokyo Olympics is still thwarted by a third wave of coronavirus contaminations, which seems to be emerging in all countries around the world. As long as the city of Osaka (western Japan) does not want the Olympic torch relay to cross its territory.

The Covid-19 pandemic has killed at least 2.8 million people worldwide since the end of December 2019, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report from official sources on Thursday. Vaccination is in full swing across the world as the World Health Organization (WHO) denounces the “unacceptable slowness” of the European campaign.

  • Struck by Covid, Osaka wants to deflect the Olympic torch relay

The metropolis of Osaka (western Japan) will probably not see the Olympic flame pass due to a further increase in coronavirus infections. “I personally think the torch relay in Osaka city should be canceled”, said Hirofumi Yoshimura, the governor of the department of the same name, stressing that “Requests to avoid non-essential and non-urgent exits must be scrupulously respected during the period of stricter measures”. The Japanese government is preparing to impose new measures to fight Covid-19 in parts of Osaka and two other departments.

According to local media, Osaka Mayor Ichiro Matsui also wants the Olympic Torch Relay to avoid the city. “It’s very unfortunate, but the torch relay must be canceled”, he said.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also In Japan, the Olympic torch relay kicks off in a gloomy atmosphere

The governor of the department called for the opening of discussions with the city of Osaka and those responsible for the Olympic Games, which are to be held from July 23 to August 8 in the capital after a one-year postponement due to the pandemic .

The Olympic torch relay started on March 25 in Fukushima (north-eastern Japan), and is scheduled to cross the department of Osaka on April 13 and 14.

  • Finland withdraws its containment plan

The Finns will not ultimately be confined, at least not right away. The Finnish government has withdrawn its plan to contain part of the Nordic country, after reservations about its legality, Prime Minister Sanna Marin announced on Wednesday (March 31).

Earlier today, a constitutional committee made up of parliamentarians warned that the bill went against the Finnish constitution, in particular because of measures deemed disproportionate to fundamental freedoms. According to the project presented last week, the inhabitants of Helsinki but also of the city of Turku (southwest) would have been allowed to leave their homes only for basic tasks, such as buying food or going to the hospital. work or school.

Read also With or without Covid-19, Finland remains the happiest country in the world

Finland and its 5.5 million inhabitants have one of the best records against Covid-19 in Europe. But its incidence rate has increased in recent weeks, prompting the government to introduce new restrictions.

The World with AFP

www.lemonde.fr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *