Students in schools in Ontario will continue to receive classes in an online format.
Rodrigo Diaz M.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that schools in the southern province will be closed until at least February 10.
“Based on the advice of the medical director, schools in Windsor-Essex, Peel, Toronto, York and Hamilton will remain closed for in-person teaching until February 10,” Ford said.
Last week, the provincial government said elementary students in southern Ontario would not return to classrooms on Monday and instead set a date for January 25. High school students were also expected to return to in-person learning.
Ford said the chief medical officer of health will make recommendations for other regions before the reopening date of January 20.
“By January 20, 2021, the medical director of health will advise the ministry of education on which public health units will be able to resume in-person instruction, based on the most up-to-date data and models,” Ford said.
“Schools in Northern Ontario will continue to be open,” the government said in a press release yesterday.
Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott yesterday reiterated the rise in virus detections among children in recent weeks, including during winter break.
“We also know that the fact that children go back to school also affects mobility, more than 20% of mobility, because if the children are at home the behavior of the parents also changes.”
“I know it is not ideal to have children out of school for long periods of time,” Elliott said. “We want them to come back as soon as they can, but their safety is paramount and we always have to err on the side of security when it comes to our children.”