There may not be any hockey in Canada right now, with the exception of the six Maritimes QMJHL teams, but there will still be an NHL Draft in 2021. circuit Bettman has published its first list for the next vintage, and three Quebec players are considered first-round prospects.
Forwards Zachary L’Heureux (Halifax), Zachary Bolduc (Rimouski) and Xavier Bourgault (Shawinigan) are among the 31 players who received the “A” rating awarded to first-round prospects.
“I think there are a lot of quality players in the QMJHL this year,” said Centrale recruiter Jean-François Damphousse in a telephone interview with The newspaper.
In addition to the three players mentioned above, ten received a “B” endorsement which categorizes them as prospects in round two or three.
If there is no Alexis Lafrenière this year, the three QMJHL players who start favorites to be chosen in the first round are not stung, assures Damphousse. Since they have hardly played this season, other than L’Heureux, the list is mostly based on their exploits from last year.
And speaking of Lafrenière, it would be unjustified to say that Bolduc had success at 16 with the Rimouski Oceanic due to the presence of a new member of the New York Rangers.
“There will always be people who will say that Lafrenière was there and that it helped him. It is true. On the other hand, during certain evenings, Zachary brought a different aspect to the second row and it was he who made the games on the power play, ”recalls Damphousse of the one who scored 30 goals in 55 games in his career. first season in the “Q”.
Before the break in activities, he had scored two goals in four games.
WHO WILL COME OUT FIRST?
If the draft got us used to a player coming out of the field and being considered the no. 1 throughout the season, it could be quite the opposite in 2021.
The names of forwards Aatu Raty, Kent Johnson and Dylan Guenther, as well as defenders Brandt Clarke, Owen Power and Luke Hughes are all part of the conversation right now about who is this vintage’s best prospect.
“Right now, it’s too early to identify a force in this draft other than to say that there are many good prospects in all positions. There are no Alexis Lafrenière players who have a clear consensus as the No. 1 prospect.
“There are several candidates who have a head start based on their past successes, but as long as we cannot assess the entire cuvée, the fight is on to know who is the best of the lot, ”Centrale manager Dan Marr told the NHL website.
PLAYERS WHO HAVE OBTAINED A RATING
In alphabetical order
- Matthew Beniers (C) | Michigan (NCAA)
- Zachary Bolduc (C) | Rimouski (LHJMQ)
- Xavier Bourgault (C) | Shawinigan (LHJMQ)
- Corson Ceulemans (D) | Brooks (AJHL)
- Daniil Chayka (D) | Guelph (OHL)
- Brandt Clarke (D) | Barrie (OHL)
- Simon Edvinsson (D) | Frölunda Jr (Sweden)
- William Eklund (AG) | Djurgarden (Sweden)
- Artyom Grushnikov (D) | Hamilton (OHL)
- Dylan Guenther (AD) | Edmonton (WHL)
- Luke Hughes (D) | Program M18 (USA)
- Kent Johnson (C) | Michigan (NCAA)
- Ryder Korczak (C) | Moose Jaw (WHL)
- Zachary L’Heureux (AG) | Halifax (QMJHL)
- Carson Lambos (D) | Winnipeg (WHL)
- Chaz Lucius (C) | U18 Program (USA)
- Fabian Lysell (AD) | Frölunda Jr (Sweden)
- Mason McTavish (C) | Peterborough (OHL)
- Sasha Pastujov (AD) | U18 Program (USA)
- Francesco pinelli (C) | Kitchener (OHL)
- Owen Power (D) | Michigan (NCAA)
- Aatu Raty (C) | Karpät (Finland)
- Simon Robertsson (AD) | Skelleftea Jr. (Sweden)
- Conner Roulette (AG) | Seattle (WHL)
- Mackie Samoskevich (AD) | Chicago (USHL)
- Roman Schmidt (D) | U18 Program (USA)
- Cole Sillinger (AG) | Medicine Hat (WHL)
- Fyodor Svechkov (C) | Togliatti (VHL)
- Vladimir Sychyov (AG) | SKA-Varyagi (VHL)
- Samu Tuomaala (AD) | Karpat Jr (Finland)
- Jesper Wallstedt (G) | Lulea (Sweden)