Beijing | China on Monday announced retaliation against six additional US media outlets in its territory, after similar measures taken by the United States against Chinese news outlets.
ABC Television, Los Angeles Times Daily and Minnesota Public Radio will be required to provide a list of their employees, real estate and financial operations in China within seven days, a spokesperson said in a statement. of Chinese diplomacy, Zhao Lijian.
This measure also concerns the specialized website Bureau of National Affairs (BNA), the magazine Newsweek as well as the agency Feature Story News.
This is “very necessary retaliation against the unreasonable crackdown (by the US government) on Chinese media in the United States,” Zhao said.
Washington on Wednesday changed the status of six Chinese media outlets in the United States and extended its measures against organs accused of serving Beijing’s “propaganda”.
Considered as “foreign missions”, they must henceforth communicate to the State Department details of their personnel and their real estate in the United States.
This decision “exposes in plain sight the hypocrisy of the so-called freedom of speech and of the press,” Zhao Lijian lambasted in the statement.
The six targeted media are Yicai Global, Jiefang Daily, Xinmin Evening News, Social Sciences in China Press, Beijing Review and Economic Daily.
Their journalistic work, however, will not be subject to any restriction, assured the head of the American diplomacy Mike Pompeo.
Nine better-known Chinese media had already been described as “foreign missions”, including the official China New News agency and the CGTN television channel.
Beijing responded in July by targeting the Associated Press (AP) and United Press International (UPI), CBS television and NPR radio.
In the past, Beijing has also expelled in retaliation Americans working for several major newspapers such as the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.