Saturday, October 31

Infrastructure Announcement and Shawn Mendes: In the News Oct. 1 – The Canadian News


In The News is a summary of stories from The Canadian Press designed to start your day. This is what’s on our editors’ radar for the morning of October 1 …

What we are seeing in Canada …

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will describe today how the Infrastructure Bank of Canada intends to invest billions in projects aimed at creating jobs and contributing to the fight against climate change.

Government officials say no investments in specific projects will be announced at a press conference today, where Trudeau will be joined by the bank’s new chairman of the board, Michael Sabia, and Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna.

But the trio is expected to establish the priority areas the bank intends to invest in, as well as the amount of money it will allocate to each area.

Priority areas include agricultural infrastructure in Western Canada and broadband to expand access to high-speed Internet service across the country.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly disclose details prior to the announcement, say the investment plan is part of the government’s promise in last week’s throne speech to create one million jobs. work and help revive an economy devastated by the government. COVID-19 pandemic.

It is also intended to help the government meet its goal of net zero carbon emissions by 2050.

That too …

A Toronto court is ready to hear the arguments of a group of homeless men and women living in tents who are rejecting the city’s attempts to remove them from parks.

The group, which includes activist organizations, wants an interim order to allow the homeless to continue living in the camps until a constitutional challenge to a city charter is heard.

The central issue is an ordinance that prohibits living or camping in parks after midnight.

The city says the Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not entitle the group to live in parks.

Since the pandemic began, hundreds of people have fled shelters in fear of contracting COVID-19 and have been living outside.

What we’re seeing in the US …

NEW YORK – The presidential debate committee says it will soon adopt changes to its format to avoid a repeat of the first disjointed meeting between President Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden.

The commission said Wednesday that the debate “made it clear that additional structure must be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues.”

One possibility that is being discussed is giving the moderator the ability to cut off the microphone of one of the debate participants while his opponent is speaking, according to a person familiar with the deliberations who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The next presidential debate is a town hall format scheduled for October 15 in Miami.

Meanwhile, the Nielsen company said that 73.1 million people watched the debate on television, where it was broadcast on 16 networks. That’s more than any other television event since the Super Bowl, even if it didn’t hit the 84 million who watched the first Trump-Hillary Clinton debate in 2016. That was the most-watched presidential debate in history.

Moderator Chris Wallace struggled to gain control of Tuesday’s debate in Cleveland due to frequent interruptions, primarily from Trump. The candidates interrupted Wallace or his opponent 90 times in the 90-minute debate, 71 of them by Trump, according to an analysis by The Washington Post.

Fox News’s Wallace called for a more orderly debate, at one point looking at Trump and saying, “The country would be better served if we allowed both people to speak with less interruption. I’m asking you, sir, to do it. “

“Ask him too,” Trump said.

“Well, frankly, you’ve been interrupting more than he has,” Wallace said.

Biden on Wednesday called the debate “a national disgrace.” But despite some suggestions that the last two presidential meetings be canceled, both campaigns said they expected their candidate to attend.

Trump’s campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh said the commission “was only doing this because their man was hit last night. President Trump was the dominant force and now Joe Biden is trying to work with the umpires. “

What we are seeing in the rest of the world …

ROME – Cardinal George Pell, who left the Vatican in 2017 to face charges of child sexual abuse in Australia, returned to Rome on Wednesday to find a Holy See mired in the kind of corruption scandal that he worked to expose and clean up.

Pell, 79, arrived at Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci Airport on a flight from Sydney wearing a blue surgical mask. He briefly greeted reporters before getting into a waiting car without comment.

The trip is his first return to Rome after he was absent as Pope Francis’ finance czar in 2017 to face historic charges of sexual abuse stemming from his time as Archbishop of Melbourne. After he was acquitted by the Australian High Court in April, Pell said he wanted to return to Rome to clean his apartment at the Vatican, but intended to make Sydney his home.

It was not immediately clear how long Pell would remain at the Vatican or what his schedule might entail. The Vatican did not immediately say whether it would meet with Francis. The Pope never turned against Pell during the Australian court proceedings, keeping his job vacant for two years so as not to prejudge the outcome.

Pell arrived on the same day that European anti-money laundering evaluators began a regular visit to the Vatican. They also encountered a growing financial scandal in the small city-state that has already cost half a dozen people their jobs, including one of the Holy See’s most powerful cardinals, Angelo Becciu.

Pell and Becciu had long clashed over the Australian’s efforts to bring greater transparency and accountability to Vatican balance sheets.

The Moneyval team of the Council of Europe will verify the Vatican’s compliance with international standards to combat money laundering and terrorist financing.

On this day in 1966 …

The CBC began broadcasting color television.

Show news …

Shawn Mendes has set a date for “Wonder”, the title of his new single and forthcoming fourth studio album.

Pop singer from Pickering, Ontario. has revealed the first details of the next chapter of her music career, sharing a fantastic promotional trailer.

The movie scene opens as the camera enters an apartment and passes a newspaper with a headline that reads: “Famous Musician Missing.”

Moving across the room, he eventually runs into Mendes, who is lying on his back on a mattress on the floor, playing a gloomy song on a piano behind him.

Mendes gets up from the floor and opens a window, which splashes light and seemingly reveals a whole new world.

The clip closes with the Friday release date for the single “Wonder” and the full album set for December 4.

ICYMI …

Not all heroes wear capes, as the saying goes, but Teara Fraser has her wings and likes to fly, with a social purpose.

The Vancouver-based Metis commercial pilot and owner of Iskwew Air is named one of 18 “real world heroes” in the upcoming DC Comics graphic novel “Wonderful Women of History,” which also includes the late judge of the US Supreme Court Ruth Bader Ginsburg, New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren, and singer Beyoncé.

“I am surprised, I am honored and I am feeling responsible,” says Fraser. “A sense of responsibility to honor the women I stand with to continue to dismantle systems of oppression and uphold truth, justice and equality as the women on that list have done, and as the Wonder Woman character. was designed to represent. “

The graphic novel, which will be released on December 1, also includes the late transgender rights activist Marsha P. Johnson, disability rights activist Judith Heumann, singer Janelle Monae and star tennis player Serena Williams, among others.

Author Laurie Halse Anderson edited “The Wonder Women Anthology,” which has different writers and illustrators for each profile.

This report from The Canadian Press was first published on October 1, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *